Advice for two new MP Frontend devices - one powerful, one not so much. (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just made the decision to separate out my standalone HTPC into two separate parts.

I now have a headless Server (i3-2105) running Argust TV backend and I need to buy myself a new PC to run Mediaportal as a client only for my living room.

Furthermore, I am currently using a laptop as a Mediaportal client in my bedroom and I need to think about getting something a bit more permanent as a replacement.

It therefore need two potential PCs - I want the one for the living room to be fairly powerful as I want the best possible viewing experience (in addition to Mediaportal, I use Sky Go and Netflix).

The one in the bedroom need not be as powerful for obvious reasons but should hopefully not be laggy in any way.

I would be grateful for any advice.

My initial thought was to buy an i3 NUC but they do not seem good value in the circumstances. As I have a spare SSD, RAM, Small Case, and PSU lying round, do you think it would make sense to buy a mini-itx motherboard with an i3-4330 (which as the HD4600 Graphics)?

With regards to the bedroom PC, would I be able to get away with one of the cheaper NUC's and, if so, which one?

Thanks very much in advance.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hmmmm - been doing a bit more research and it seems that the G3220 is also worth looking at for an HTPC frontend.

Does anyone think I would notice any difference between this and the i3-4330 as an HTPC front end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom