Advice on complete rebuild please (1 Viewer)

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Been running MP for some years, just upgraded to 1.6. Not a complete success, but that may be related to other issues. Amongst other things, even though I did a complete removal of all MP products and databases (having exported what I wanted to keep) I didn't get moved to MySQL 5.6 and still do not have innobd as my default engine.

Anyway, I think the time may have come to completely rebuild Windows onto a newly formatted disk (I'm also having some odd network issues and I think this may be the best way to start again).

Am I right in thinking that there is only one database in MP - the one called mptvdb?

If so, would I be right in thinking that the easiest way to preserve everything, including all the history of watched programs, would be to export that db (using MySQL workbench or something similar), and then when I've finished all the other stuff and installed MP 1.6 again, drop the database created by MP at install time and import my backed up copy in to the right location.

Can any of the experts out there reassure me that this will leave me with a properly functioning MP?

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Hi WJW

For TV services, yes, and given you've already done the deed in "complete removal of all MP products and databases" with backups, I think what you plan sounds sound for DB work. Also the thumbs [if your using same] in TV Server section, you may want to keep:)

Cheers - JCMP

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Amongst other things, even though I did a complete removal of all MP products and databases (having exported what I wanted to keep) I didn't get moved to MySQL 5.6 and still do not have innobd as my default engine.

You may need to uninstall MySQL 5.1 as well (you can't run both on the same machine, so I think it doesn't install 5.6 if 5.1 is already installed).

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for the replies. I think the comment about about not installing 5.6 if 5.1 is already there is the one to note. This isn't clear in the release notes for MP 1.6 - perhaps it should be as it really means that even though the team have moved up to MySQL 5.6, all those who are already running MP with 5.1 will never move to the newer version.

I intend to do a complete disk reformat and start again with a re-install of Windows, so that won't be an issue for me. I've tested the replacement of the mptvdb database on another machine and it works just fine.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello wjw

First, I think it is possible to install MySQL 5.6 alongside MySQL 5.1.
    Second, yes the MpTvDb is the only database for TV Server... but MediaPortal has other settings files and SQLite databases.

This isn't clear in the release notes for MP 1.6 - perhaps it should be as it really means that even though the team have moved up to MySQL 5.6, all those who are already running MP with 5.1 will never move to the newer version.
    If you want to upgrade that is fine... but in my opinion it is only a "nice to have", not a necessity. In time this will become a non-issue as TVE 3.5 will come along. That will require a fresh install with MySQL 5.6+ or an alternate database system like SQLite.

People asked about why we didn't automatically update MySQL 5.1 to 5.6. I gave some possible reasons:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ready-for-download.122865/page-4#post-1042235

People made it clear they wanted to upgrade without a fresh install, so instructions were supplied:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ready-for-download.122865/page-2#post-1041540

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi mm1352000,

Many thanks for the prompt reply and the extra clarifications. That makes sense as both 5.1 and 5.6 are on the machine in question, MP is using 5.1. I suspect which is used will be decided by individual applications (MySQL workbench seems happy to use whichever one it's asked to (although I'm not really an expert here so don't quote me!).

Anyway, I got into this problem/question because I'm being pushed towards the complete rebuild by other things that are happening on the system that I now think might be best resolved by a really clean start rather than fiddling about. It's not really about problems with MP or which database is used. I've tested using the mptvdb replacement method on another machine (which has 5.6 installed already) and it works just fine.

This machine's major use these days is for TV watching so that's the really important thing I wanted to be sure about.

red_zebra

Portal Pro
    September 1, 2009
    Leipzig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry for the maybe silly question, but I am about to setup my new HTPC this weekend (complete with a fresh windows installation) and I wonder if I can use my old .db3-files for Moving Pictures, MPTVSeries, Videos, Music, etc., although the MySQL version will be 5.6 then. The .db3-files are created from my old MP-installation with MySQL 5.1, but I absolutely don't want to lose them. I thought about just installing MP with the relevant plugins and then store the .db-files into the database-folder again - this should work, shouldn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom