Tools and other software Advice on converting all my recordings. (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello,

I have done as much research as I can about finally tidying up all my recordings and I am going to take the plunge over the next couple of days.

In terms of cutting all the adverts out my .ts recordings, I have tried loads of programs and have to admit that although it is pricey, VideoReDo is the only one that does a perfect job. I shall use this program to give an error free edited .ts file.

In terms of compressing the files, I have decided that the only way forward really is to use Handbrake and batch convert them to MKVs with the x.264 codec.

As far as I know, this codec deals with video compression only, so what would you guys recommend as an audio output option in handbrake?

Any general advice in terms of video editing/archiving would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks

A

DoXer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Let's have a look on MeGUI or StaxRip. Both solutions are handling video and audio. I like StaxRip for the easy conversion of TS files (Just drag the file on the program window). 2 channel audio I convert to AAC (neroaac), Multichannel I leave as is.

BTW: I'm also using VideoReDo for cutting, nice tool.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi there,

So if you have a two channel audio recording, you convert it to AAC, otherwise for 5.1 audio, you just leave it as per the original?

Out of interest, I note that .ts is just a wrapper and not a codec or format in itself. Do you know what format mediaportal records in terms of video and audio files?

BTW - I see that you also agree that VideReDo is by far the best for editing.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Out of interest, I note that .ts is just a wrapper and not a codec or format in itself. Do you know what format mediaportal records in terms of video and audio files?

mpeg2 video, mp3 audio for UK terrestrial, not sure about HD though.

Freemake video converter will edit and convert the above, but not as intuitively as VideoreDo does, that has to be the master of editing software ;)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Another advocate of VideoReDo I see PD.

Just one thing that is confusing me - when I press the change audio language, when I am watching an SD channel, it gives me the option of MP2. How is this related to the Mp3 audio?

I also note that when I have a look at the available audio channels for HD, it gives me MP2 and AC3. Does this meant that I am only getting 5.1 (which I have) when I set it to AC3?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    mpeg2 or mp2 = mp3 audio in stereo
    AC3 can be upto 5.1 surround, 7.1 is more duplicated rear channels possibly with a small delay added.

Last edited:

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Oh god - I thought I might open a can of worms with this one and get out of my depth.

So when you say mp3 in stereo is mp2, are you referring to more than the usual 2 channels? I.e. I know that regular mp3s can be two channel stereo.

I assumed that mp2 and mp3 were simply two different generations of compressing audio, with the later codec being more efficient.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    TV server records (with digital TV sources) whatever the broadcaster provides e.g. DVB is normally MPEG2/H.264 (AVC) video plus MPEG1 Layer 2/AAC/AC3 audio.

'MP3' audio is MPEG1 Layer 3 compression, but DVB doesn't normally use this, it uses Layer 2 instead (not sure why, but probably down to extra licensing costs for Layer 3 decoding).

I assumed that mp2 and mp3 were simply two different generations of compressing audio, with the later codec being more efficient.

Correct (except that technically they are called Layer II and Layer III). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-1#Part_3:_Audio

Tony

Last edited:

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    Whenever I use handbrake for 2.0 channel audio I convert to AAC but for anything else I use the Auto Passthru option that is in the latest version.

Out of interest, I also spent a long time thinking about converting recordings, cutting out commercials etc. and I played around with lots of solutions including spending ages trying to configure the perfect UK comskip ini file setting up MCE Buddy to do auto conversions etc.

In the end, the best decision I ever made was not to bother doing anything with the recorded TV. In terms of the commercials it takes me a couple of seconds to skip them using the remote when watching a recording back and I would never get back the time I would have spent manually cutting them out of the files.

In terms of compression, HDD space is so cheap (2TB is back to less than £80) that again I can't see the benefit in encoding them.

I would be interested to know how you get on but just thought I would share my views on this.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Just my 2p worth.

I, too, am currently doing what Elsmandino is doing for two reasons:-

1. To save disc space
    2. To allow the files to be played on ipods/mobile phones

I use handbrake and convert to .m4v format, however I use the handbrake conversion 'shorthand' within two additional programs. These two additional programs are "Batch Converter" and "Watch Folder". One I find very useful is "Batch Converter" - you point it at a folder and converts everything in it to the format you specify, using Handbrake - it saves loading each file into Handbrake which is so tedious it makes you wonder if it is worth it. The other add on I also use is "watch folder" - again this watches a particular folder and then converts whatever file is in there, and it allows you to move the original file, or delete it etc, etc. Both the add ons can be found >>>here<<<

The only problem I have with this conversion malarkey is the conversion of HD recordings. I am still playing around with the Handbrake 'shorthand' so that the Audio description gets dumped and the actual audio footage which accompanies the TV show is retained. Still got to find out how to do this yet. When I have my conversion setup will work great and can then be automatic.

BTW, I don't cut the ads out; whilst video redo is good, I find it too much of a pain to go through all the shows and process them manually so like erichzann I just skip through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom