Advice on getting into computer programming (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I know that that this is nothing specifically to do with MP but I thought I could get some advice as there are so many developers working on Mediaportal.

I have absolutely no training/knowledge with regards to programming/coding at all, but I would like to start having a go. This shall be purely on an amateur basis - I will not be changing career or anything, but I love messing around with building computers so much that I would love to start learing how programs themselves work.

Can anyone give me a few pointers as to how to get into this sort of thing please?

I have read lots of information on the web and it all seems to be a bit too advanced - I am a quick learner but would have to start from the absolute zero with this.

Thanks very much.

Alex

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
Hello,

Thank you both for your reponses - I think my main problem at the moment is deciding which computer programming language to begin with - there are just so many.

What I did read is that it really is important to start with the correct one as learning the wrong one can actually inhibit your learning of other languages.

Any ideas on what would be the best to get me going?

I know that programming for children is being pushed in primary schools at the moment - what are they being taught?

Thanks

Alex

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
Hello Tony,

Trawling the web, I have found loads of references to Python being a great choice for absolue beginners with no experience. How would you rate this?

Alex

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Never tried it....but 'interpreted' languages tend to be easier to debug because an interpreter can produce more understandable error messages when things go wrong....it's one of the main reasons why Basic was very popular as a 'learning' language (and because it could run on machines with very minimal resources - for a bit of computer archaeology, I learnt it via a Teletype terminal connected to a DEC PDP-11, using punched paper tape for program backup....)

Tony

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    ...that said, I always find it easier to learn something new when I actually have a use for it, so what would you like to do with the programming knowledge (eventually) ?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...that said, I always find it easier to learn something new when I actually have a use for it, so what would you like to do with the programming knowledge (eventually) ?

^ this, which is why I suggested something like autohotkey.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    That is a good point - I was really learning programming to then consider what I could do with it, but you reckon I should do this the other way round?

Primarily, I was hoping it would give me an understanding as to how software actually works, but eventually, I was hoping to write some basic applications.

Long way off I know, but I was hoping that I could even work on the odd plugin for mediaportal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom