Ongoing Advice on HTPC Builds for MediaPortal (3 Viewers)

sambo7

Portal Member
August 31, 2011
Home Country
Hi sambo7,

What's your reason for using the NVIDIA card?
I have just built an HTPC a few weeks ago using the i3 2105 (comes with HD3000 graphics), the same motherboard you've chosen and no external video card and things work great.

Hey,

Thanks for the heads up! I think I may have seen your posts about your HTPC build a few days ago. Ultimately if I can get away from using a dedicated GPU that would be great! Actually reading some reviews I have noticed that most people are saying that the HD3000 graphics on the i3 2105 is sufficient for 1080p playback and 1080i??

While I am posting I have been looking at TV Tuners and am interested in the AverMedia as it's well in my price range. Have noticed that PCCG have the AverMedia TwinStar Dual Digital Tuner []Avermedia AVerTV TwinStar DVB-T PCI-E [AVTV-TS-PCIE] - $89.00 : PC Case Gear

Would this be sufficient for my HTPC build?

Thanks for your help.

automationRulez

Portal Member
July 22, 2011
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yeah HD3000 on the i3 2105 is just fine for 1080i. The only reason I went with the HVR is that it's been known to work well with MediaPortal - so no driver issues and if there were problems, there would be a good chance that someone would know the fix :)

vk3heg

Portal Member
April 3, 2008
Ballarat
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hello Sam,

HTPC Intel Build - $642
CPU: Intel i3 2100
GPU: GeForce GT 430 Low Profile
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws-X 4GB (2x2GB) 1600
TV Tuner: Leadtek WinFast DTV2000DS Dual HD Tuner
Case: Antec NSK2480
PSU: Antec 430W
Media Remote: Windows MCE Remote

A couple of points from when I built my first box...

If your using the 32 bit version of W7, then 4gb of ram is over kill. It'll only see 3.x gb. 2Gb of ram is plenty. My setup is multi seat with the mp server being the main client, and a second machine as a client as well (ie: it's in the kitchen).

I'm using that same, case and it came with a 380w EarthWatts 80 PLUS Certified PSU.

The I3 cpu with it's hd graphics should save you a graphics card. I'm using the mb's video for my setup, and hd playback is fine.

A perfect tv card with great performance and easy to use features is the PCI-E Hauppauge HVR-2200... It might cost a lot more than what you have been looking at but it would be worth it in the end. esp if your some distance from the TV tower.

The only comment I would make about the mb, is if the heat sink on the chipset chip is going to get in the way of any cards, (To hard to tell from gigabytes website).

My setup started with a 2.6ghz Quad core, but is now on a Dual core 2.6 (I needed the VT-D function for a server)

automationRulez

Portal Member
July 22, 2011
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
The only comment I would make about the mb, is if the heat sink on the chipset chip is going to get in the way of any cards, (To hard to tell from gigabytes website).

The heat sink is nice and low profile :)- I can tell you that from handling the motherboard. No worries there.

sambo7

Portal Member
August 31, 2011
Home Country
Thanks for all the feedback.

I have decided to go with the Intel i3 2105 as I have heard not here but also other threads that the HD3000 graphics on board is more than enough to handle 1080p/i and nearly anything you can throw at it. I also have the ability to add a Geforce GT430 later if I require it.

I am also testing out my dads HTPC build with which I have put down Windows 7 and the latest version of Media Portal. He is running the Avermedia Twinstar DVB-T dual tuner and when I go to scan stations I am not picking up Channel Nine here in Australia. I live in Melbourne and have selected Melbourne as the region.

Sometimes if I scan I might also not pick up channel 7, though I seem to not be able to pickup channel nine at all! Perhaps I should be trying to plug the HTPC into another socket in another room?

vk3heg

Portal Member
April 3, 2008
Ballarat
Home Country
Australia Australia
I am also testing out my dads HTPC build with which I have put down Windows 7 and the latest version of Media Portal. He is running the Avermedia Twinstar DVB-T dual tuner and when I go to scan stations I am not picking up Channel Nine here in Australia. I live in Melbourne and have selected Melbourne as the region.

Sometimes if I scan I might also not pick up channel 7, though I seem to not be able to pickup channel nine at all! Perhaps I should be trying to plug the HTPC into another socket in another room?

Try with just Australia as the location, and don't give a region.

It could also bee crappy tv antenna/cable.. They tend to fall apart after x years in our climate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom