After upgrade to 1.14 (from 1.12) MP is not starting and hangs during start. (1 Viewer)

Bernie_W

Portal Member
May 16, 2016
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi, maybe someone can help me.

I recently upgraded my MP to 1.14 from 1.12. In 1.12 all was running fine, no issues at all. After 1.14 was installed, when I start MP, then MP hangs at the "initialization of input devices" and doesn't move onward (I waited half an hour :)).
Reverting back to 1.12, all is fine again. Tested 1.13 also same as with 1.14. As the start hangs, I am not able to create watchdog files. I am on Win 10 Pro, all the .Net are enabled and installed, DX as well and the vcdrestx86.
I tried complete wipe of MP (also manually in the registry), deleted all folders, to no avail. Now back on 1.12. No change in HW, SW or any updates from Microsoft at all.
Does anyone have an idea, what has changed since 1.13? So maybe I could search more. Or any hints, what I could try to narrow down the issue?

Of course I read all the previous threads in various forums (partly back till 2008:)), but I couldn't find a solution. How could I create the log files, while MP doesn't start up? Is there another way?

Such a pity. I would like to follow the upgrades.

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

How could I create the log files, while MP doesn't start up? Is there another way?
    Yes, of course. :)
    The standard log collection procedure should work.
    1. Open the Watchdog tool.
    2. Select option 1 ("report a bug to Team MediaPortal").
    3. Click "proceed" to start MP.
    4. If MP hangs, wait ~30 seconds then kill MediaPortal.exe with Windows task manager. This will trigger the Watchdog to collect log files. If MP doesn't hang, you'll know you have a plugin problem.

Bernie_W

Portal Member
    May 16, 2016
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wow, thanks for your prompt answer.

Great, I will try that, but there is a little issue with killing MP.
    I faced that MP will change to suspended mode and nothing was able to kill the process at all. Using taskkill didn't work and also ProcessExlorer didn't help. Furthermore power shell was also not able to kill the task. Of course I changed to have the termination rights to my account (admin), but nothing could kill MP, except a restart :) Quite tough our little HTPC SW.

Thanks for your help!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...but there is a little issue with killing MP.
    Okay, well in that case use the Watchdog with option 3 as follows:
    1. Open MP Configuration.
    2. Go to the "general" section.
    3. Change the "log verbosity" setting to "debug".
    4. Close MP Configuration.
    5. Attempt to open MP as usual (no Watchdog).
    6. Assuming MP hangs, wait for approximately 30 seconds then restart Windows.
    7. Open the Watchdog tool.
    8. Select option 3 ("export...").
    9. Click "proceed" to generate the usual zip file.
    If MP Config also won't start, skip instructions 1 through 4. It's not ideal, but nothing you can do about that.

There's always a way! :)

Bernie_W

Portal Member
    May 16, 2016
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello MM,

unbelievable what you guys think about when coding this software. A masterpiece indeed.
    Well now back to my problem - saying ashamed it suddenly works. What did I do. I upgraded from 1.12 to 1.14 and only changed the log level to debug like you proposed.
    Then I started MP waiting quite a while for keymap, the extension windows and then the famous input devices showed up. I thought, ok, prepare for a restart :)
    Then suddenly MP opened up. I didn't change a single thing, as being in office the PC was shut down.
    Alright, restart, to test again, and there it worked again. Then switched back the log level to Information and it still works.

Well wonders may happen, but I am delighted now and want to thank you again for offering me such kind support.

Cheers

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That's strange but good news! :)
    Don't hesitate to update if the problem starts happening again.

Bernie_W

Portal Member
    May 16, 2016
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's very kind of you. Of course, I hope I don't have to bother you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom