Album view: looks at other fields in MP3s with blank Album, creates multiple folders (1 Viewer)

Prorok Rak

March 16, 2012
Home Country
Slovakia Slovakia
Okay, so the problem with what you want is that if we changed this, other people would think that it was wrong. Things would be grouped together that should not be.

I agree with you that if AlbumArtist field is filled with the name of an artist, it's good when there are several entries. This way you can have several "Greatest Hits" entries, each of them for one artist.
Then, however, there is an issue I already mentioned:
What is really pain when you have 17 identical Albums is that when you enter 16th entry and then you go back to the upper level to see what is under 17th entry you will find yourself on the 1st entry. So you have to press "down" key 16 times!
Should I open a new ticket for this issue?

2. For people who
  • have their AlbumArtist field empty
  • still want to have several entries for each Greatest Hits album
would be the option 'treat tracks in an individual folder as an album'

3. However, there is no option for people like me who
  • want to have only one entry for all Greatest Hits albums
Thank you.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Why don't you just fill the AlbumArtist field instead? I used to have the same issue, but now that I've filled all of my single tracks and compilations' AlbumArtist fields and sorting everything in MediaPortal is just easy and close to perfect. With iTunes (for example), you can edit just that field without changing anything else. I know, it's bloatware, but it's free and great for changing only one or two fields for many files at once.

Emph

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Okay, so the problem with what you want is that if we changed this, other people would think that it was wrong. Things would be grouped together that should not be.

I agree with you that if AlbumArtist field is filled with the name of an artist, it's good when there are several entries. This way you can have several "Greatest Hits" entries, each of them for one artist.
    Then, however, there is an issue I already mentioned:
    What is really pain when you have 17 identical Albums is that when you enter 16th entry and then you go back to the upper level to see what is under 17th entry you will find yourself on the 1st entry. So you have to press "down" key 16 times!
    Should I open a new ticket for this issue?

It would be ideal if MP remembered where you were in the previous list so that if you move back to that list, it moves back to the same point. However, as far as I understand, the current behaviour is far too embedded within MediaPortal to be changed. Sorry.

The fundamental problem is that you have 17 albums with the same name because they have different artists.

2. For people who
    • still want to have several entries for each Greatest Hits album
    would be the option 'treat tracks in an individual folder as an album'

Indeed. That is why it is there.

3. However, there is no option for people like me who
    • want to have only one entry for all Greatest Hits albums

Unselected 'treat tracks in an individual folder as an album' and then tag the albumartist for all of those albums as 'Greatest Hits'. That should do what you want.

The problem is that what one person finds is logical and intuitive, another person will not. There is no such thing as 'standard behaviour'. We just have to find the balance and provide options for people who want it slightly different.

To take your argument to the ridiculous limit, it would be ideal if you didn't have to tag anything and MediaPortal could still work it out. Of course it can't do that and probably never will. The various mp3 tags are there for a reason. You need to use them as intended.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom