Album view: looks to Artist data in WAV files and creates multiple folders (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: v1.2.1
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Win7 Ult 64
CPU Type: Phenom II X4 955
HDD: 2TB Samsung F4
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80
Video Card: HD6950 2GB
Video Card Driver: 11.12
Sound Card: onboard Realtek AC97 (ALC892)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 6.01.6482
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.27240
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PDVD11
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: MS DTV-DVD
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Custom
Cooling: Scythe 120mm Bottom Intake Fan, TRUE Rev. c CPU HSF
Power Supply: Antec CP-850
Remote: Nova-T 500
TV: Sony XBR800 36"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

With WAV files with blank Album and AlbumArtist data, Album view looks at the Artist data and creates one blank-titled folder per Artist, each with an equal number of blank-titled sub-folders, each with all the tracks in. With MP3 files, Album view groups all such files under one folder and it should do the same for WAV files.

With the attached logs, I first tested with all my WAVs tagged with Album and AlbumArtist data, which put them in appropriately-named folders and just left one folder at the top which lists all my MP3's with blank Album data. Then I opened the Album "Freestylers - Pressure Point" in MpTagThat and removed the Album data, after which Album view shows two folders at the top, each of which contains two sub-folders titled "0", each of which contains both the MP3s and WAVs. If I do the same for another Album of WAVs (or even a single track with a different artist to "Freestylers", this will result in three folders with three sub-folders in each, and so on.

For an Album of WAVs correctly tagged with the same Album data but several different Artists (e.g. Freestylers, Freestylers ft Tenor Fly) Album view creates multiple folders for this Album, so e.g "Freestylers - We Rock Hard" which is tagged as Album - We Rock Hard but has five variations of data in Artist, results in five "We Rock Hard" folders appearing in Album view, each of which contains five sub-folders, each of which contains all the tracks.

EDIT: It seems the multiple subfolders problem can be dealt with by removing the second tier (discnumber) from Album view and I understand why some people will want this tier and that it probably can't work one way for the folder with the files with blank Album data (singles) and a different way for the rest of the folders which are actual Albums. I don't personally need the discnumber tier though, so it's no problem for me if I delete that to avoid this issue.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    This is not just WAV files but all types. In the tag reading code there is something which says
    Code:
    if (!tag.HasAlbumArtist)
    {
      tag.AlbumArtist = tag.Artist;
    }

so if there is no album artist tag but there is an artist tag then that artist tag is loaded into the album artist field.

will do a quick test later with mp3 and flac but I am 99% sure this will be the same.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    That's simply not the case with MP3s, which is why I reported it as a bug. I've just tested again and all my MP3s with blank Album field and blank AlbumArtist field appear in the same folder, which they wouldn't if it was using Artist as AlbumArtist. It's only with WAVs that it's doing this and I really think MP should respect the tags the user's set and not be using Artist as AlbumArtist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom