AllCardsBusy (1 Viewer)

JustCallMatt

Portal Member
August 18, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Thank you mm, I always approached this as an experiment and sort of knew that DRM would somehow ultimately ruin it for me... no worries. and if somehow I have an all night tinker session and get things working, you bet I'll post the results!

jmvaughn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Home Country
    Another way around the problem is to use something like the Hauppauge HD Colossus card:
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_colossus.html

I have two. They work flawlessly. You simply use the analog HD output on your cable box. I know it's not digital, but honestly, I don't think most people can even see the difference. No DRM issues whatsoever and it works with MP.

JustCallMatt

Portal Member
    August 18, 2015
    Home Country
    Cox Communications has all but phased out analog cable. I had a Hauppage tuner before, and it worked great, until they started shifting channels over to the digital side. Their "mini-box" wouldn't help, because it has no way to be directed by the PC to change channels to record... I've resigned to the fact I'm going to have to stream shows from network web sites, rather than record... damned cable company lol.

jmvaughn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Home Country
    Hi Matt,

Actually, I was referring to the component HD out (the red/green/blue jacks) on most cable boxes. You can hook a cable from that to the Hauppauge HD Colossus and get HD video into your PC. You can then use stick an infrared transmitter on the front of the cable box, and this will allow MP to change channels. I used an Hauppauge HD-PVR previously, and it was incredibly buggy. The Colossus, though, works like a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom