AMD Cool'n'Quiet... Not so quiet!!!! (1 Viewer)

phillip1983

Portal Member
May 7, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi All,

i have the following hard ware spec

Asus M2A-VM HDMI AM2, HDMI, VGA, 5.1Snd, SATAII, mATX
AMD Phenom 8750 Socket AM2+ 2.4GHZ Triple-Core Processor - Retail
4Gb (2x2Gb) Dual Channel DDR2 667Mhz Memory
Hauppauge WinTV HVR 3000 DVB-T, DVB-S and Analogue TV Card
Wireless 54Mbps PCI LAN Card
NEC AD-5200A-0B 20x+/-DVD-R Dual Layer Dvd Writer- Black
Sony BDU-X10S Blu-Ray/DVD Rom SATA Optical Drive
320Gb Maxtor DiamondMax21 SATAI/II 8Mb Cache HardDrive
33-in-1 USB2.0 Card Reader 3.5 Internal/External -Black
Opera Black ATX Case with 500W PSU

i have windows XP Pro updated with all latest SP's and stuff from microsoft, i have all the drivers installed that came with the system including AMD cool'n'quiet driver,

but the system is so dam bloody noisy, is there any way with the driver to make the CPU's heat sink and fan run more quiet? as its this thats the problemall other fans on the board are quiet'ish but the CPU fan is way to noisy and im thinking of sending it back as i can not listen to music with out hearing the fan and i have tried watching movies and i have to have the 5.1 on very loud to dran it out which is ok but ITS NOISY!!! lol

so is there any software for the AMD CPU that i have above that will quiet it down, or can someone recommend a quiet fan for the spec of my CPU ?

Many Thanks
Phil

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    You should have an option to limit this fan rpm's in the BIOS settings. I don't know this MB, but all Asus MBs have that.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    If it's a stock cooler, then change it, otherwise you will always have this, same goes for case fans, very rarely are they top quality silent ones :(

phillip1983

Portal Member
    May 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Are there any suggestions on which Fan i should get for the AMD Phenom 8750 Socket AM2+ 2.4GHZ Triple-Core Processor - Retail which is silent?

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If you have room in your housing, Scythe manufactures one of the better passive coolers on the market, but be warned it is absolutely massive, weighing in at over 1,2 KG with fan. Even if you use it with a 140 mm fan you will get no sound and no fuss. You may need some secondary air-intake to ensure airflow, but I guess that is another story.
    Japanese Dragon: Giant Passive Scythe Orochi Cooler Review - X-bit labs

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    depends on yr case. Scythe infinity is excellent but its 160mm high(!) and weighs just under a kilo. Scythe Ninja Mini is good for shorter cases - can be run passive. You need a case with a couple of 80mm fan slots near the cpu so that you can get the airflow for passive cooling. Another cool option is to use a fan controller, or an in-line resistor (they cost about $4) which sits between the fan socket on the mobo and the fan cable - daisy chain two of them for ultra-slow rpm or just use one to quiet the fan.

To set up the cooling run speedfan and prime95. Speedfan will tell you how hot the cpu is getting while prime95 maxes it out. Use a room with a reasonably high ambient temperature, as ambient room temp will affect the capacity of the heatsink to perform. - no point setting up the speeds on a cold day only to find the machine overheats in summer.

If you want silent case fans, get noctua - they are rated at 120,000 hrs life expectancy(!) and are the quietest on the market. they are truely excellent fans and only about $15 more than a stock 80mm fan.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    And remember that while your CPU generates a lot of heat, take a look at tv-cards and/or wireless cards. I have both and they actually get hot enough to burn your fingers (yeah, I know, should cool it more, but...).

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    If you want silent case fans, get noctua - they are rated at 120,000 hrs life expectancy(!) and are the quietest on the market. they are truely excellent fans and only about $15 more than a stock 80mm fan.

My thoughts exactly, you spend all the money getting good main components and then skimp on fan's, crazy, quiet is good :)

Make sure you use artic silver as well, guaranteed to knock 5 degree's off temperature compared to anything manufacturers supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom