AMD RX470 & Hardware Decoding (1 Viewer)

scouseman

Portal Member
August 20, 2015
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hi, My TV recordings in MP are done in HD, but I cannot play them back without the picture stuttering, it seems apparent to me that MP is using software decoding as I am using a AMD rx470. I cant seem to get the video to play back without stuttering and pixelating. The ts video file is from a BBC HD satellite recording. The same problem exists from a live stream on the same channel.

Edit: I have also tried DXVA2 (native)

My Tv codec setting

tv_codecs.png

My video codec setting:

video_codecs.png

Last edited:

scouseman

Portal Member
August 20, 2015
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hi, thanks for the link, seems very strange that, more people aren't having this problem and that AMD still haven't resolved it, I suppose some people won't know if their video is being hardware or software decoded.
I managed to get the video the play by enabling software de-interlacing and selecting YADIF, but I guess that is just pushing most of the decoding to my cpu.

I don't suppose this will be fixed anytime soon, I will need to seriously consider returning the card back, which would be a real shame as I got it for a decent price.

Crix1990

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmmm....Sorry, that could not be right.
    I'm using a RX460 since October and it works.
    But you have to choose native DXVA.

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, but it seems you don't know what you are talking about.
    The DXVA problem is a fact, that is reported in several threads at the AMD community and other forums.
    Here is a more complete one: RX480 DXVA H.264 not working. | Community

Btw. AMD after over six month, has just released a new driver that fixes most DXVA issues. What a shame!
    Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.2.1 Release Notes

Crix1990

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmmm...I never had AMD related issues with my RX460 using DXVA with Mediaportal.
    From version 16.4.x till 17.2.1...

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I aggree that this problem and other h264 issues (long stop times etc.) can be avoided by using "Native" or indeed disabling HW acceleration for h264 and letting the software handle it (with just a minor increase in cpu load). The downside, however for me, was that with my RX 460 in "Native" the picture quality for non-hd TV was absolutely awfull, so I am very happy to see a fix with the latest drivers and would strongly recommend you give "Copy-Back" a try.

Crix1990

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    By the way: Is there a nice a aricle or something that explaines, the dieeference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom