AMD X2 or not (1 Viewer)

Uli321

Portal Member
March 6, 2006
Hi,

I'm not sure whether to take an AMD X2 4000+ or an AMD 64 4200+ (single core is cheaper).

I have ordered the new Technotrend DVB-S2(!) HDTV card and i'm going to upgrade my system.

Here is what I think to take:
- AMD 64 4200+ (single core)
- Nforce 4 micro-ATX ASUS Mainboard
- Nvidia 7300GT 256 MB graphic card with DVI out
- 2*512 MB DIM PC-3200
-400 Gig HD Samsung SATA
- and the brand-new Technotrend DVB-S2 3200

The main question: Regarding MP now and in future, will it be better to buy an AMD X2 CPU (let's say the 4000+ model)?

Thanks for your advice!

Uli

SquonkSC

Portal Member
July 24, 2006
Hi Uli,

Go with the X2.

Difference in mhz is marginal, but second core will really boost your multitasking.

Recording a show and watching one at the same time will be fluent because processes are devided by the 2 cores.

Good luck.

Michel

FoxyXI

Portal Member
September 2, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I didn't get a dual core, and I wish I had. It doesn't usually matter, but once in a while a background process will swap out Media Portal for a tad too long and video will briefly glitch. Not a huge problem, but annoying.

Minimum system requirements for HD video from BluRay and HD-DVD (or other HD recommendations I've seen) lean heavily towards dual core as well, with a minimum of a 4200+.

I think a 65W Athlon X2 4200+ (ADO4200CUBOX, not the 89W ADA4200CUBOX) would be a pretty good choice. Newegg has it for a reasonable price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103741

The 65W versions continue in the 4400+, 4600+, and 4800+ as well if you want to spend a bit more.

I am considering some upgrades to my HTPC in the future, and it is all based around going multi-core. So, if I had the choice right now, I would overwhelmingly want a dual core.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    the Energy Efficient X2s are great, my 4200+ is now passively cooled and runs a treat.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yep the x2 is my next upgrade of choice. Watch TV, whilst converting video formats.:D

Got to be a must, unless you have networked pc's setup in the house.

een_mq

Portal Member
    September 27, 2006
    Just as a suggestion, if you want to use your old DDR RAM and your old AGP card with Conroe (Core 2 DUO), you can now with ASROCK DUAL-VSTA motherboard...
    This mobo accepts DDR 1/2 and AGP/PCE express...

Highly recommended, get the lowest end Core 2 Duo (E6300), benchmark shows it to be as fast as x2 4600+...

Cooler and faster and cheaper than AMD solution....

Cheers

Edward

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    Just as a suggestion, if you want to use your old DDR RAM and your old AGP card with Conroe (Core 2 DUO), you can now with ASROCK DUAL-VSTA motherboard...
    This mobo accepts DDR 1/2 and AGP/PCE express...

Highly recommended, get the lowest end Core 2 Duo (E6300), benchmark shows it to be as fast as x2 4600+...

Cooler and faster and cheaper than AMD solution....

Cheers

Edward

Be a bit wary of this board, has very mixed reviews on Newegg, including comments that SATA II has serious issues and that the memory configuration for DDR has to be just so.

een_mq

Portal Member
    September 27, 2006
    The board it self is solid provided you have a DDR400 memory...
    It doesn't take DDR333
    And it's only SATA 1, but SATA2 does not give any performance increase in day to day stuff, except for minor increase in benchmark...

But PCI express is only x4...

As I said, the board is only good if you don't want to buy new RAM, graphics card when upgrading...
    THis is currently my current rig for mediaportal...

FoxyXI

Portal Member
    September 2, 2006
    Fort Collins, CO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The Core 2 Duos are great, but I think a little more accurate comparison would be the E6400 to the X2 4600+. Both processors also have a Thermal Design Power of 65W. However, Intel does probably have a slight edge on the processor side in terms of cost versus performance. The E6400 is a bit higher performing and a tad cheaper than the X2 4600+.

Uli321

Portal Member
    March 6, 2006
    Well,

you guys convinced me to have a look onto X2.

Finally I decided to buy today:
    - AMD X2 4200+ EE
    - Asus M2NPV-VM AM2 Board Micro-ATX
    - MSI nvidia 7300GT PCIe card
    - 2 * 512 MB DDR2 RAM
    - 400 Gig Samsung SATA HD
    - Arctic Cooler 64
    - Technotrend S3200 budget DVB-S2

System is running very well and really fast after installation. Experiences regarding MP performance and DVB-S2 related things are to come.

Thanks for your advise.
    Uli

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom