Ampdroid access from outside home wi-fi (1 Viewer)

Branksome

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2012
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Ampdroid works fine at home. Thanks very much. But I obviously have a set-up issue as I can't access my server outside my own wi-fi area. I have the same problem with another unrelated app

Could someone give me some pointers as to where to look?

Thanks

Last edited:

PeeeWeee

Portal Pro
    July 20, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In the moment you're leaving your wifi area, you're leaving your network.

Outside of your wifi area you are only connected to the public internet, but not to your own network at home.

There is a way to make it work, but unfortunately I can't help you. I never set it up.

-PeeWee

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi,

Ampdroid works fine at home. Thanks very much. But I obviously have a set-up issue as I can't access my server outside my own wi-fi area. I have the same problem with another unrelated app

Could someone give me some pointers as to where to look?

Thanks
    You need to forward port 4322 on your router... How this is done completely depends on your router though. If you have no knowledge in this area, either ask a friend or try to google how to do this with your specific router.

Fafnir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Branksome.

You may tell a bit more about your network setup.
    For me remote access from the internet works perfectly.

Important is that your internet provider changes the WAN IP address of your router. Often the cycles differ from provider to provider.
    My setup looks like this: For remote access I ordered for 5 € each year a DynDNS name, following also forwarded the the port 4322 as described.
    In general every acces to my mediacenter goes over the internet except the remote control.

What you may check is, if your router allows to forward the port. Certain ports are blocked for security reasons.

Hopefully this is of help for you...

Bon voyage, Fafnir

manyakim

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2005
    Zeeland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Branksome, i have several services running on multiple ports. Therefore i use DMZ (demilitarized zone) on my router. Although it is not the "safest" option.

Bear in mind that, depending on your router, you have to input your static ip and/or mac adress of your local pc network adapter to forward the requests from "outside" to your pc.

As my internet provider uses dynamic ip, i also need a domain adres/name revert to my wan ip.
    For that i have registered a free account at noip.com including a small application to sync/link my dynamic wan ip to my registered domain.

Branksome

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2012
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    Important is that your internet provider changes the WAN IP address of your router. Often the cycles differ from provider to provider.
    My setup looks like this: For remote access I ordered for 5 € each year a DynDNS name, following also forwarded the the port 4322 as described.
    In general every acces to my mediacenter goes over the internet except the remote control.

Thanks Fafnir. Yes, you are correct. I have just checked and my ISP has indeed changed the IP address from the one I used

Bear in mind that, depending on your router, you have to input your static ip and/or mac adress of your local pc network adapter to forward the requests from "outside" to your pc

Thanks manyakim. I will have to look at that as well

Looking at the settings on Ampdroid, I can't see at the moment where I can change the IP address I would have originally given when I installed the app.

As it happens, I am very happy with having this app on my local wi-fi. Using the app outside my home area is less important (I am retired and in my mid-70's)

Thanks again for your help

Tom

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Tom,

you can change the IP adress in Ampdroid when you edit the client.
    When forwarding ports on your router, don't forget to forward the port for WifiRemote also.
    Forwarding the correct ports (both can be seen in the "advanced setup" upon entering or editing a client in ampdroid) and
    setting the external instead of the internal IP were the only things I needed to do to make Ampdroid work outside my home wifi.

Branksome

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2012
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    you can change the IP adress in Ampdroid when you edit the client.
    When forwarding ports on your router, don't forget to forward the port for WifiRemote also.
    Forwarding the correct ports (both can be seen in the "advanced setup" upon entering or editing a client in ampdroid) and
    setting the external instead of the internal IP were the only things I needed to do to make Ampdroid work outside my home wifi.

Thanks Requiem. The problem is the random re-assign of my IP address by my ISP. I was already planning to change my ISP later this year (which would give me the opportunity of negotiating a static IP address). In the meantime, I am happy to continue to use this app within my home.

To be honest, in my case, the main advantage of having access outside the home would be so I can show off to other people!

Tom

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's not really a problem. Just subscribe to a Dynamic DNS Provider, basic service for a single address is usually free of charge (e.g. no-ip.org).
    Many routers also come with a builtin DynDNS-Support. So, if your ISP changes your IP, your router or a locally running software will notice this and update the DNS entries. In Ampdroid, just enter your provided domain address like mytvserver.no-ip.org instead of an absolute IP address. Simple and free :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom