aMpDroid Pro trying to get remote to work with a Samsung tablet (1 Viewer)

Darpa317

December 30, 2012
Indianapolis
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
This is a cross post. I asked a question in the newest aMpdroind setup/install I could find. I might have gotten a little too excited and purchased pro before thinking. I have a Galaxy Samsung tablet and use Moving Pictures. I just want a good remote to use with my tablet through a wifi connection. Here was my question:

Is this obsolete (aMpdroid Pro)? I downloaded the pro for 3.99. I do not mind giving the $4 even if there is something better, is there? Should I look into something else?

Right now I am having an issue connecting the remote. The error on the tablet: "Server missing plugins". I want MP extender, correct - not the GMA thing? Do I still use the TVcore thing? All of the install information seems a bit outdated. Is there a recent 2012 install guide somewhere - did I miss a link for it? I do that a lot! Miss links, just wanting to get this thing set up. I am not interested in streaming. Just want a cool remote. Anyone any thoughts?

Darpa317

December 30, 2012
Indianapolis
Home Country
I think I got it..... Adding MP extender. I was just missing the most recent install information. Now I feel kind of worthless. But, I think I got it.

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    This is a cross post. I asked a question in the newest aMpdroind setup/install I could find. I might have gotten a little too excited and purchased pro before thinking. I have a Galaxy Samsung tablet and use Moving Pictures. I just want a good remote to use with my tablet through a wifi connection. Here was my question:

Is this obsolete (aMpdroid Pro)? I downloaded the pro for 3.99. I do not mind giving the $4 even if there is something better, is there? Should I look into something else?

It is current. The remote control functionality of aMPdroid is serviceable, though clearly not its greatest strength. More than anything, it's a streaming media app. Think of it as a SlingBox on steroids.
    Right now I am having an issue connecting the remote. The error on the tablet: "Server missing plugins". I want MP extender, correct - not the GMA thing? Do I still use the TVcore thing? All of the install information seems a bit outdated. Is there a recent 2012 install guide somewhere - did I miss a link for it? I do that a lot! Miss links, just wanting to get this thing set up. I am not interested in streaming. Just want a cool remote. Anyone any thoughts?

You need to use a current version of MPExtended for current versions of aMPdroid. (right now, that is version 0.51 and it is much more stable than earlier versions). More information can be found here:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/updated-3-dec-mpextended-service-0-5-1.114105/

The installer includes WifiRemote 0.7, which is required for aMPdroid's remote control functionality. If all you want to do is use the remote functionality though, you can save yourself the effort of installing the rest of MPExtended and just set up WifiRemote on its own.

Sasha

Last edited:

Darpa317

December 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Home Country

It is current. The remote control functionality of aMPdroid is serviceable, though clearly not its greatest strength. More than anything, it's a streaming media app. Think of it as a SlingBox on steroids.

You need to use a current version of MPExtended for current versions of aMPdroid. (right now, that is version 0.51 and it is much more stable than earlier versions). More information can be found here:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/updated-3-dec-mpextended-service-0-5-1.114105/

The installer includes WifiRemote 0.7, which is required for aMPdroid's remote control functionality. If all you want to do is use the remote functionality though, you can save yourself the effort of installing the rest of MPExtended and just set up WifiRemote on its own.

Sasha
    So, if I am looking for a remote with whistles and bells is there such a thing that you are aware of? Or should I just stick with this. Streaming is neat, I guess. I will probably use it. But, I have a wireless mouse and OMG that across the room is bad. So my main interest was a gui remote.

I downloaded and installed Wifiremote before MP Extender. WIFIremote is separate from MpEx, right? Or do I now have 2 versions of WifiEx? (I guess I will look.) When I install MP ex it gives me a QR code option. I already took a QR when I tried to set up Wifiremote without MP. So, I delete the current recognized location, it is from before I had MPEx.. Use the QR code I obtain from MP and it should work?

Edit:
    You know I will use and enjoy the streamer... Once I figure it out.

Last edited:

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    So, if I am looking for a remote with whistles and bells is there such a thing that you are aware of? Or should I just stick with this. Streaming is neat, I guess. I will probably use it. But, I have a wireless mouse and OMG that across the room is bad. So my main interest was a gui remote.

I haven't looked, and I don't think there's anything else for Android at the moment. I believe there is an iOS app called Couch Potato that uses WifiRemote to do something similar on iOS, but I haven't looked into it. There is also MPDisplay++, which is based on a different server plugin/protocol and intended for Windows clients:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mpdisplay-extended-display-touchscreen-plugin.92354/

I haven't played with this in a while now, but when I last did about a year ago, it didn't feel ready for prime time. There has been a major release since then, so it might be worth checking out.

One of the thoughts that has been going through my head quite a bit is to write an interface for a home automation system to control MediaPortal using the WifiRemote protocol.

I downloaded and installed Wifiremote before MP Extender. WIFIremote is separate from MpEx, right? Or do I now have 2 versions of WifiEx? (I guess I will look.) When I install MP ex it gives me a QR code option. I already took a QR when I tried to set up Wifiremote without MP. So, I delete the current recognized location, it is from before I had MPEx.. Use the QR code I obtain from MP and it should work?

WifiRemote is included in MPExtended, but also available as a standalone plugin. I'd suggest checking MPEI to make sure that the proper version (0.7) is installed.

I didn't try the QR code or Bonjour stuff--it's just so easy to enter the IP address and port on your Android device so why bother going through the effort?

Edit:
    You know I will use and enjoy the streamer... Once I figure it out.

It's awesome and fun, minus all the cellular data usage you'll rack up when away from home. :) The biggest advances in MPExtended recently have been in this area, especially with respect to streaming live TV reliably. Getting MPExtended working just right will take a bit of effort though. It is worth it--MPExtended is second to none when it comes to streaming with real-time transcoding.

Sasha

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom