aMPed 3.0 test group (1 Viewer)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Skinning for aMPed is a lot of work and since there are just 2 developers on this skin project actively contributing we can use all the help you guys can offer.

We thought it might be a good idea to setup a solid test group of dedicated aMPed users.
The upside for applying for being an aMPed tester will be that you will always have access to the latest and greatest, at least that's what we're working towards.
We're thinking about setting up a system for testers so it will become alot easier to follow changes that happens while aMPed development moves along. Testers can then easily download these changes.

Since alot of users do not now how to download svn we're thinking to maybe set this up in a more comfortable webpage environment.

If you find this interesting enough and want to apply as a tester please leave a comment here to apply.
We are looking for a diverse group of testers so eventually we'll ask which parts and plugins testers are able to test and then select (if we even have that luxury :))

So to recap;

This is not final yet, we are not yet sure on what the best approach is but we need some users helping out with testing. So if you feel up to the task please apply here.

jamiro

Portal Pro
July 14, 2007
Home Country
As this is really the only quality 4:3 skin avaliable I would like to offer my support. I have MP installed on a machine in the lounge room and I have it installed on one of my PC's in the study as a TV client. I use the study PC mainly for testing i.e trying out new plugins, setups etc. before I install on the family machine in the lounge room. I would be happy to do some testing for you on this machine with what little time I have.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey Jamiro, thanks for the offer! You have already been very helpful in the forum and we really appreciate it.

As a 'tester', you should be using Issues - amped - Google Code to enter bugs you find or enhancements you would suggest. It is pretty easy to do, and it actually helps you describe the problem well. See: IssueTracking - amped - How to submit issues - Google Code The advantage is that we can keep track of the status of an issue. So far, I have been entering all the issues you have found into the Tracker, so that will save me some time. Once we have 'fixed' the issue, and you test it, you can mark it as 'verified' in the Tracker so we know it is really fixed.

Are you familiar with SVN? If so, that will enable you to get all the latest changes as we add them to aMPed. The advantage is that we can submit a fix or enhancement to SVN and you just update your local test copy and test it. It only updates the changed files. Since you already have a test system that should work out well for you. Then we do not need to post fixes in the forum that may not work.

It also means that you will find 'bugs' before we release a new version instead of after! And it makes testing before releasing a new version a lot easier.

I am not a programmer or developer myself and I figured out how to use Tortoise SVN without much trouble (and a little help from Joz). Joz did a help page here aMPed SVN How To you can check out.

If that is too overwhelming, let us know and we can work something out, but using SVN will be much easier for you in the end.

Thanks again, and welcome to the team! :D

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just like to add one thing. I guess Dadeo forgot that the developer groups can only be accessed by developers. I attached the svn how to, to this message.

jamiro

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks, I will check it out soon.

Got SVN , installed and setup for the amped skin directory, but it requests a username and password, not sure where to go from here?

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Check the how to I send you, it states what to do. You have to fill in a google account.
    The only important parts for you are the "initial import" and the "update" parts

jamiro

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi
    Yep, Have read the guide, it simply states

1.It will ask for your username and password this is the same as for your google code account
    2.Press ok when done

I have a google account and can sign in to google code website (http://code.google.com/) with this google account, but when I try to use tortoise with this login, it just responds with "authorization failed"

?

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    whoops sorry. I guess I need to reivse the guide a bit.

this should work

1) have tortoise svn installed
    2) create a folder where you wish to download amped svn
    3) right click that folder choose svn checkout
    4) paste this url in the url of repository field "http://amped.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/"
    5) let it download. It should not be asking for user credentials at all. You only need to log into svn when you want to write something (so upload changes).

The thing that went wrong is that in the howto we use a https (secure connection) url. That requires login for both rread and right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom