Analog Angel USB TV Tuner on Windows 7 Ultimate (2 Viewers)

Old Dog

December 20, 2019
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi Folks,

I have a Dell XPS Desktop computer that I've had an Analog Angel USB TV Tuner hooked up to for the past 5+ years that has worked great with Windows Media Center for that whole time, up until our Satellite tv provider changed all it's channels. I've tried to reconfigure it to find the new/different channels multiple times with no success. To add insult to injury, I've just found out that as of January 2020 Microsoft won't be updating the tv guide listings for Windows Media Center. So that's why I've downloaded and installed MediaPortal. It looks like a good program, but I can't get it to find any channels when I run the tv Server configuration app and scan for channels. It lists my Analog Angel USB TV Tuner under TV Servers, but it doesn't find any channels under either Cable or Antenna settings. The Angel USB TV Tuner is connected to the Satellite box via composite cables.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as I really miss recording my favorite tv programs.

Oh, and by the way, I'm in Canada and my Satellite provider is Shaw Direct.

Thanks!

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    on tvserver, in device setting, you can found the button "Add Svideo channel" click on it, and look in tvchannels, you will have the input as proper channel.

Old Dog

December 20, 2019
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I tried the "Add S-Video channels" button, it pops up a little window that says "channels added" and then when I scan for tv channels again it still doesn't find any.

I've noticed that the Angel tv tuner has an input for S-Video, but it's not connected to anything because my satellite receiver doesn't have an S-Video output on it. The Angel tv tuner is connected to the satellite receiver via composite video cables, the same as it's always been for the past five years when I was using Windows Media Center with it.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you are a former WMC user, I suggest that you take a look at MediaPortal 2 and its WMC skin.
    I've noticed that the Angel tv tuner has an input for S-Video, but it's not connected to anything because my satellite receiver doesn't have an S-Video output on it.
    MP2 does have an excellent WMC skin, but if you cannot get the tuner working with MP1, you are not likely to have any success with MP2 (they use the same "TV Server" program). :(

It may be simpler to try to find out why WMC is no longer working. The following web site deals with WMC and has many WMC experts: The Green Button

The disadvantage of MediaPortal is that most of its developers and users live in Europe, and have little knowledge of the American or Canadian TV systems. In contrast, "The Green Button" web site is frequented mostly by Americans and Canadians. If you describe your problem there, they may be able to identify the cause of the problem and suggest a solution. If not, they can offer advice on migration away from WMC (which, sadly, is not usually to MediaPortal). Some ex-WMC users opt for NextPvr, some use Plex, and some give up using a PC and instead buy or rent a Tivo or the DVR from their TV provider.

Note: there is an excellent tool called "EPG123" that works with "Schedules Direct" to provide an EPG for WMC, so the discontinuation of the Microsoft EPG is not a reason to stop using WMC. The only disadvantage is that a "Schedules Direct" subscription costs around US$25 per year, but I think that most people would regard that as peanuts. More info about "EPG123" can be found on "The Green Button" web site.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom