[confirm] Analog radio scanning (1 Viewer)

sdf

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Italy Italy
when scanning analog radio, if MP finds a station, the scanning jumps 0.4 Mhz.
In Italy there are several stations between 0.10 Mhz (for example 102.6 and 102.7).
In this manner many stations are lost.
It would be better to choose a step of 0.10 - 0.05 Mhz always.
Thank you,
sdf

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi sdf

Fancy seeing you here ;)

I can confirm that this is an "issue" for me in New Zealand. *Most* of the channels within each region are 0.4 MHz apart, but there are exceptions. Further, I can pick up channels from a neighbouring region. These channels are offset from the channels in my region and this results in the channels that I receive commonly being 0.3 MHz apart. The trouble with scanning with smaller intervals is that strong channels (which can be picked up 0.1 MHz either side of the proper frequency here) would be picked up two or three times. It would be annoying to have that happen!

0.4 MHz jumps
    ------------------
    Advantages:
    - faster scanning
    - picks up most channels (for me)

Disadvantages
    - channels missed

0.1 MHz constant scan
    --------------------------
    Advantages:
    - will almost certainly pick up all my channels

Disadvantages:
    - significantly slower
    - sometimes picks up the same channels multiple times

At the end of the day I don't think there is any clear best option. It becomes a matter of deciding which is worst and picking the other option. I think I would probably vote for a 0.1 MHz scan - better in my opinion to pick up all channels than miss any, and ideally you only scan once so the slow speed is just an inconvenience one time...

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi mm1352000,
    It seems to me that there is an option for high, medium and low sensitivity.
    Maybe it could be possible to add another option and let the user choose between the actual method (+0.4) and 0.10 increments.
    In Italy it would be better 0.05, because fm radio stations are very very badly organized.
    Thank you,
    sdf

Sorry, referring to duplicate channels, I was saying in another thread that I prefer to have all the channels available and then organize them as I want (with groups, for example).
    Also in Italy there duplicate channels, but maybe some frequencies are disturbed.
    So it could be great to choose with frequency use for a certain station.
    Bye,
    sdf

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again...

It seems to me that there is an option for high, medium and low sensitivity.
    This is actually a rescan option. High is 10 scans, medium is 2 and low is 1...

Maybe it could be possible to add another option and let the user choose between the actual method (+0.4) and 0.10 increments.
    In Italy it would be better 0.05, because fm radio stations are very very badly organized.
    How about one setting that controls the scan division and another setting that controls the size of the jumps?

Scan division sizes: 0.05, 0.1, 0.2 MHz
    Jump sizes: None, 0.05, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 MHz

Thoughts?

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    How about one setting that controls the scan division and another setting that controls the size of the jumps?

Scan division sizes: 0.05, 0.1, 0.2 MHz
    Jump sizes: None, 0.05, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 MHz

That would be perfect
    Bye,
    sdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom