Analogue or Digital Input? (1 Viewer)

epsilon2

Portal Member
February 27, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello,

I have tried to get Analogue Tv working with software/hardware encoders. Software encoding has a not acceptabel quality. Same for hardware encoding with a haupauge HVR 1700.
My two questions:

1.) Any other option to encode a analogue signal (better hardware encoder)?

2.) Will Digital Satelite TV help me to get no shuttering/ pixelation/ sound crashes/ MP crashes?

Regards,

epsilon2

epsilon2

Portal Member
February 27, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
I am talking about analoge cable. no encoder setting realy fity my comfort.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    To be clear: Did you try to set Quality Control?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ver_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/7_Scan_Analog
    TV-Server can have two settings for quality. One which is used for recordings and one for normal playback and timeshifting TV. While watching TV, you can change those settings temporarily via the context menu in MediaPortal. It is also possible to overwrite the settings for scheduled recordings within MediaPortal.
    A quality setting consist of two parameters:
    1. Bitrate mode: This means only the combination of the selected bitrate mode and bitrate defines the quality that is used. TV-Server uses a standardized interface which supports three bitrate modes:
      1. Constant bitrate: The bitrate is constant all the time. As bitrate the selected value will be used.
      2. Variable bitrate (Average): The bitrate that is used is variable, but in a specific time period (normally 5 minutes) the bitrate is the selected one.
      3. Variable bitrate (Peak): It is the same as Variable bitrate (Average) except that the maximum (peak) bitrate is also defined.
    2. Bitrate: Unfortunately a standardized range for bitrate playback does not exist. Therefore TV-Server uses percental values. Generally if you want the best quality you should just set the bitrate to High as this is identical to 100% in the custom values.
    Note:
    Constant bitrate mode: Recordings are made with constant bitrate. This is probably not ideal, but it is possible that variable bitrate modes are not supported.
    Variable bitrate average mode: Recordings are made with variable bitrate. This is preferred for better quality-per-bit (efficiency).
    Variable bitrate peak mode: Same as variable bitrate average mode, except that the peak bitrate is constrained. Not all encoders support this.

The quality presets for bitrate are as follows:
    Portable = 20%
    Low = 33%
    Medium = 66%
    High = 100%
    Default = Existing value. Whatever that happens to be.
    Custom = The value set in the Custom value field.

The chosen bitrate sets the constant bitrate for constant bitrate mode, and the average bitrate for *both* variable bitrate modes.

If you choose variable bitrate peak mode then you can limit the peak bitrate. There are peak bitrates that correspond with each preset:
    Portable = 45%
    Low = 55%
    Medium = 88%
    High = 100%
    Default = Existing value. Whatever that happens to be.
    Custom = The value set in the Custom peak value field.

Note that variable and especially variable peak modes are not guaranteed to be supported by all encoders.

epsilon2

Portal Member
    February 27, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    tried everythink. constant, peak averange. 1-100% bitrate on 27 cable channel in germany.
    Any way to test if its the tv server or encoder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom