[Android] aMPdroid 0.7 - Android Remote Control (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
February 4, 2009
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Can you explain where the advantage is in contrast to embedded subs?

Steven81

Portal Pro
March 29, 2010
Can you explain where the advantage is in contrast to embedded subs?

They're especially useful for less popular languages (like -say- Macedonian). It's possible to own a DVD and after ripping it you'd still have to find the right subtitles to accompany it. Of course after you'd find the (right) srt file you can simply re-encode (embedding the sub) but apart from finding it wearisome I prefer to have the option to play my file unsubbed. In all these years, I much prefer external subtitles than any embedded option.

I think it's not too hard to be implemented either, I think there are players in android -too- that suppost SRT subtitles.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
February 4, 2009
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
I prefer to have the option to play my file unsubbed.
I think you should differ between embed and encode... Of course you can hard code subs into your files(and that sucks) but you can also embed subtitles (with mergemkv for example: adding subtitles is less than 2 minutes)

Steven81

Portal Pro
March 29, 2010
I prefer to have the option to play my file unsubbed.
I think you should differ between embed and encode... Of course you can hard code subs into your files(and that sucks) but you can also embed subtitles (with mergemkv for example: adding subtitles is less than 2 minutes)

It would still mean that I'd have to re-encode (and I have a quite large collection), plus it will be a pain to edit the subtitle file if need be (translations are not always that good in non-major languages)...

Steven81

Portal Pro
March 29, 2010
Hi, is there support for external (srt) subtitles?
If not, is it planned to be implemented?

It's not planned yet since I never use subtitles but if you add a request to General forum / aMPdroid and a lot of people want this feature, I'm sure we can figure something out.

Thanks, I did as you recommended. My only hope -now- is that others would like to have such a feature on.

Thanks anyhow for your great effort...

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: Re: [Android] aMPdroid 0.7 - Android Remote Control

Hi, is there support for external (srt) subtitles?
    If not, is it planned to be implemented?

It's not planned yet since I never use subtitles but if you add a request to General forum / aMPdroid and a lot of people want this feature, I'm sure we can figure something out.

Thanks, I did as you recommended. My only hope -now- is that others would like to have such a feature on.

Thanks anyhow for your great effort...

Why are you not using serviio as streamingserver, UpnPlay as DLNA Client on your device and MoboPlayer with soft-decoding as player? At least on my Samsung S2 it works perfect for mkv's with subtitles. Of course you'l loose the comfort of the aMPdroid - but still ...

Steven81

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2010
    Re: AW: Re: [Android] aMPdroid 0.7 - Android Remote Control

Why are you not using serviio as streamingserver, UpnPlay as DLNA Client on your device and MoboPlayer with soft-decoding as player? At least on my Samsung S2 it works perfect for mkv's with subtitles. Of course you'l loose the comfort of the aMPdroid - but still ...

I'd lose TV-streaming, and -indeed- ampdroid's comfort. Of course it can be done (by using multiple apps), but I prefer the simplicity of using one which is well made.

I really have little to say against aMPdroid (even though it's still beta) and I would prefer if it was my daily driver in my "streaming adventures". Then again if it's not to be implemented -eventually- I would have to device a method like yours to stream my movies...

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: Re: AW: Re: [Android] aMPdroid 0.7 - Android Remote Control

I'd lose TV-streaming, and -indeed- ampdroid's comfort. Of course it can be done (by using multiple apps), but I prefer the simplicity of using one which is well made.

I really have little to say against aMPdroid (even though it's still beta) and I would prefer if it was my daily driver in my "streaming adventures". Then again if it's not to be implemented -eventually- I would have to device a method like yours to stream my movies...

True - TV Stream is something I look forward to. This is the reason why I'm currently building up a new HTPC to get our SatSystem included (Unicable - always an issue when using USB Sat Cards). Anyway - Serviio is good for ma as I can use all TV's (Samsung and LG) in three different rooms to get the content there - and - when I extract the subtitles as srt files I also have them there (at least on the Samsung) - and this is done via a little batch file. Bad thing about the whole Mediaportal is that they didn't think about DLNA - and this is really a feature missing. What I don't get - these project (like Serviio and Team-Mediaportal) could be a perfect match - but there seems to be no interest to implement one in another - and as I can't code ...

Everyone is inventing the wheel over and over again.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom