Another Fast Forward/Rewind/Skip/Replay Question (1 Viewer)

PN23

Portal Member
November 25, 2019
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Sorry to ask a question again that I can see has been asked before, but I just cannot find an answer and so many of thew wiki links I click on seem to be broken.

As others have mentioned, fast forward and rewind only seems to be possible at 4x and suggestions have been made to use the skip/replay buttons instead to jump ahead by the time periods configured in the MP2 client for instant skip percent and player skip steps.

No matter what I do, I cannot get this to work for me - fast forward/rewind/skip/replay when used all pause the video for a second then return to the very start of the video being played.

It does not matter whether the video is recorded TV or a movie from my collection I cannot get this to work. I also cannot rewind or fast forward live television but can pause it.

All of the media I have tried works fine in MCE, Kodi, WMP and can be skipped/replayed and fast forwarded and rewound without going back to the start of the file.

I have tried selecting other splitters and decoders in MP2 but this does not seem to make any difference. I use a remote control for navigation and this is working fine for other programs. I can click on the progress bar on screen with the mouse and this does move the video to the point I have clicked on, but remote navigation seems to not work.

I have used MCE Buddy to convert TS recordings to other formats just in case navigation may be more successful to no avail.

I am currently using Windows 10, MP2 and the MCE skin (although I can't see the skin having anything to do with this issue) and all remote keys are correctly mapped.

As a long time MCE user, I am very conscious of issue that additional codecs can introduce, so no more have been installed other than those present on the system by default following installation of MP2. The splitter and codecs are all currently set to the default LAV settings.

Is there some really obvious MP2 noob thing I am missing here?

Apologies again if this has been addressed or answered elsewhere.

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
January 9, 2020
Home Country
As others have mentioned, fast forward and rewind only seems to be possible at 4x and suggestions have been made to use the skip/replay buttons instead to jump ahead by the time periods configured in the MP2 client for instant skip percent and player skip steps.
I'm using the WMC skin - with recorded TV the fast forward button does 2x with one click (I'm using a wireless mouse as controller) and 4x with a second. The rewind button doesn't so anything.
I miss the opportunity to skip forwards and backwards, having had that with MS WMC and JRiver (where you can do it with the mouse wheel, really nice especially as you can configure the skip interval.
However ge2301 has said that (s)he has implemented skipping in the WMC skin at least for the next release.

PN23

Portal Member
November 25, 2019
Home Country
Excellent news! Any idea when the next release including the skin update will be?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The next realease contains some major changes (x64 support, new skin, ...), that need to be validated well. That's why it need time, though already developed for 8 month. Probably until middle of the year ... maybe earlier ;)

Davep123

November 27, 2020
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi @ge2301 , do you know if this feature has been enabled. Love MP2 from what I can see but not being able to jump forward or back/ only FF at x4 is becoming a deal breaker.
    is there an earlier or other version on MP that does have this feature do you know

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @ge2301 , do you know if this feature has been enabled. Love MP2 from what I can see but not being able to jump forward or back/ only FF at x4 is becoming a deal breaker.
    is there an earlier or other version on MP that does have this feature do you know
    The e.g. "fast forward" capability is defined by the used DirectShow graph (and all involved filters), it is not directly handled by MP2. A better alternative are the "instant skips" (percentual, keys "up" / "down"), or "skip steps" (configurable intervals, keys "left"/"right"),

Davep123

November 27, 2020
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The e.g. "fast forward" capability is defined by the used DirectShow graph (and all involved filters), it is not directly handled by MP2. A better alternative are the "instant skips" (percentual, keys "up" / "down"), or "skip steps" (configurable intervals, keys "left"/"right"),
    Thanks for getting back so quickly. Do you happen to know if I can configure my remote to do those keyboard functions and if so what functions should I be looking to configure. I looked in the input configuration where I was able to set up and confirm my remote but did not see any that corresponded to skip

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @ge2301 so you know if I can configure a remote for these keys and if so which ones. I could not see the option in the configure input
    Please check the Wiki for information how to configure input devices manually.
    The default key mapping is here.

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    Skip forward/backword works well for me in 2.3 with the WMC skin using the mouse. I can also FF at X2. All I'm missing is the ability to speed up replay with sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom