Another thread about EPG, but one new idea : MONEY (1 Viewer)

miljbee

Portal Pro
November 11, 2005
Orléans, France
Home Country
France France
Dear all,

there is one thing that should be greatly improved (in my opinion) in mp, as well as other HTPC systems. It is EPG/TVGuide.

first of all, i live in france. I have no if it works better in other countries !

The problem is that there is no official way to get data. In mp, we have to use webepg or xmltv that read contents from web sites that changes the format their content from time to time. the final user as to wait for a new version of the grabber, update it, and so and so.

The result is that sometimes it's nearly impossible to have a complete epg during several weeks.

the origin of the problem is that we have no standard to get those data.

the ideal solution would be to obtain the data directly in the xml format from editors like telepoche.fr (a site which is grabbed by xmltv and webepg), without having to parse their html files.

in short, something like :
ME : please mr telepoche, could you give us each day an up to date tvguide.xml
MR TELEPOCHE : of course, you can download it at http://www.telepoche.fr/TVGuide.xml
ME : Thank you very much
MR TELEPOCHE : Your welcome

wouldn't it be great ? of course !

the question is : why isn't it possible ?
Because telepoche has no interest in doing that. if you go to their website to read their program guide, you are also viewing advertisement : they get money.
if you grab their website or if they give us a ready to use TVGuide.xml, they doesn't get money because you don't see advertisement.

New question : What is needed to make it possible ?
MONEY, MONEY, MONEY !
two possibilities :
1 - we pay a small fee every month, and telepoche give us a ready to use tvguide.xml every day. I Think this has already been done for other countries
2 - telepoche includes advertisements in the descriptions of the shows in the TVGuide.xml they would provide us. If we could see their advertisements directly in mp, they would probably be ok to provide us with a daily tvguide.xml

I have took telepoche as an exemple to illustrate my ideas, but perhaps there is other websites that have more content or internationnal content. if someone of them is reading this post and think he can make money with his guide into mp, then, i think he should contact the dev team of mp to see how they could work together.
This way, the mp user could have a reliable source for epg. the drawback would only be a small monthly fee (5€ for exemple) and/or advertisements in the show description, which is in my opinion very acceptable.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
I don't think MP would/should cooperate with any commercial entity.

I couldn't care less if I download (automaticaly and transparently after all) EPG from web pages and "reformat" it (again automaticaly and transparently), since it happens for free.

Pay for information that is right there for us to see it? Why?

O

~ok|

This has been debated over and over again and there is still no solution. I don't think that this topic will go any further because each and every potential solution has already been explored. Sorry miljbee. Some countries are just luckier than others.

If only channel broadcasters could properly fill the EPG (especially in France)...

I don't think MP would/should cooperate with any commercial entity.
xmltv formatted data is not used by MediaPortal only. Such move from this kind of websites would benefit everyone. I'm convinced that the demand is yet to be important enough for TV guide content providers to make real money from this and so getting interested in selling such data. "Rogue" HTPC systems (i.e not sold) are still a niche IMHO.

I couldn't care less if I download (automaticaly and transparently after all) EPG from web pages and "reformat" it (again automaticaly and transparently), since it happens for free.
It's not really "free" (as in beer) since there are usually ads on their webpages. They don't waste their bandwidth for "free", they have costs.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Its not only the bandwidth. There has to be done editorially work to provide TV program data. So I respect, if they want money for it. Especially if they have good editorial staff.

That is the reason, why I already pay for my xmltv data. Currently 13 € for one year and up to 130 programs for 2 weeks (Clickfinder Germany, data is from TV Movie). What is absolutly ok. A print TV magazin cost about 1 - 2 € each month.

In a german forum, we already discussed to get xmltv data from TVTV. An other source could be TV Movie directly (not via Clickfinder), at least for Germany.

The problem is, that those providers only sell "packages". Eg. 1000 licences for lets say 500 € a month. So you will need at least 500 subscribers to get a resonable price (1 € / month).

Flip.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I wouldn't mind paying for quality USA TV programming data, but it has to be reasonable plus I hope that allowing for tagging of re-run information will happen in the MP EPG.

sylvio2000

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wouldnt it be possible to "prepare" MP to use external services like TVMovie or TVTV?
    Maybe as a kind of plugin where you can fill in your personal datas like username and password und you can import your EPG (of course if you paid for the service).

Wouldnt this be an solution :D

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    sylvio2000 said:
    Wouldnt it be possible to "prepare" MP to use external services like TVMovie or TVTV?
    Maybe as a kind of plugin where you can fill in your personal datas like username and password und you can import your EPG (of course if you paid for the service).

I am happy to add support for commerical guides in WebEPG. I have already had a few emails between TVTV and myself regarding this. Also a user sent an email to TVMoive with this question but got no reply.

I think if people want to pay for the guide data and it is good quality and fast. Why not. After all most of these service are normally about 1-2 local dollars per month.

So if there is interest let me know.

/James

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    sylvio2000 said:

Interesting news for you: TV Movie Clickfinder is supported in the 0.2 release. And much faster than web grabbing any EPG data. :wink:

You just need the latest Clickfinder installed and have to be registered on your HTPC to pay your yearly TV Movie fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom