Any recommendation for plugin/add-on to schedule programs from web browser on local network only? (1 Viewer)

clarkebelt

Portal Pro
June 8, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
What I'd like to find: A plug in or add on that will let you browse to it using Firefox, Chrome, etc. from another computer on your local network, see a schedule grid, and add/edit/delete items from the recording schedule. Preferably something simple to install.

I absolutely, positively do not want this to be accessible from outside the local network! Also, I don't really care about streaming recordings to the web browser. If something offers that, that's okay, but it's a feature that I'd probably never use personally. The main thing I want is to be able to add programs to the schedule, modify the settings (whether they repeat, etc.) and delete recordings from the schedule.

There is one program, I can't recall the name offhand, but its primary feature is that you can access it from anywhere in the world. I definitely don't want that one, and besides, it looks rather complicated to set up. So does anyone know of any other options that might work better for what I'm wanting to do?

pünktchen

Portal Pro
October 26, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
MPExtended + WebMediaPortal, easy to setup and without open ports in your router only accessable from your local network.

clarkebelt

Portal Pro
June 8, 2014
Home Country
Are there any alternatives to that? That's the one I wanted to avoid, because...

MPExtended is a project that aims at providing access to MediaPortal from all over the world...

Emphasis added. If that's their aim, I really don't trust the software to not try to find some way to work around my router's firewall. We we know that certain software can do that, such as instant messaging clients and VoIP clients - you don't need to expressly open ports for them, yet they work and allow people to connect to you from elsewhere on the Internet. So when someone claims that their goal is to provide access to computers from all over the world, I tend to take them at their word and not just simply assume that not opening ports will keep them out.

Besides, that program does much more than what is really necessary. Aren't there any simple schedulers for use on the local network?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @clarkebelt
    It's just a blurb line. Nobody is out to get you! :)
    Besides, if you can't trust MPExtended + WebMediaPortal then how will you know to trust anything? These add-ons have no reason to be trying to work around your router's firewall.

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The aim of access from all over the world is only achievable if you set up your network in a way that allows this. If you don't want external access then you simply leave out those steps.

rich76

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Argus TV? Don't think the latest version of MP is supported but I think 1.6 is compatible. I have never personally used it but heard good reports. I personally use mpextended and would recommend that as my personal preference

Rich

clarkebelt

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2014
    Home Country
    I'm a bit late in replying to this thread (sorry) but got caught up dealing with other issues. I did install MPExtended + WebMediaPortal and as far as I can tell it is not accessible from outside the local network, so thank you to those who replied.

There is really only one thing I don't care for about it. When you go into Schedules it shows you all your information about programs you have scheduled to record except what to me is the most vital piece of information: The time and date of the next scheduled recording. This is only shown when a program is scheduled for "Once", in the Start Time and End Time columns. But for any kind of repetition there is either no data in those columns, or it says something like "Tuesday" for the start time and that's all.

Other than that it pretty much does what we needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom