Anybody else getting "unable to play codec" messages now and then? (1 Viewer)

vl002001

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    It doesn't usually happen. Most of the time it plays well, but every now and then my stream gets interrupted by an "unable to play *****.mp3, codec" error message

is there something wrong with the stream or my setup?

thanks, great plugin. one of my favs.

NathanBridger

October 30, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    With "change" I mean, uninstall everything and install SAF.
    Not really a solution. More like buying a new car because you're too lazy to change the oil in the old one. :mad:

It seems a bit drastic to undertake this simply because Last.FM hiccups occasionally.

Everything else works quite nicely on my system--precisely the way I want it--and I am understandably reluctant to risk screwing things up.

Anyone have a solution to the Last.FM "unable to play codec" problem that doesn't involve spending all day gutting my system's codecs?

u095538

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2008
    Newcastle
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    G'Day mate.

I was getting that error too. I fixed it by doing the following:

> Media Portal Configuration
    > Music Section
    > Player Settings (tab)
    > Under 'General Settings' changing the 'Player:' from 'BASS engine' to 'Internal dshow player'

So what the hell did that do?:
    'Internal dshow player' = Internal DirectShow player.
    DirectShow is distributed via DirectX. It is a part of DirectX
    DirectShow is a framework which Microsoft built.
    A framework is something that allows developers to make applications easier. For example, you know how every Windows application's [OK] button looks identical? That's because the developer couldn't be arsed creating their own [OK] button, so they simply utilise the one in the MSWindows framework

Anyway... What that means here is that 90% of the codecs you see out there for download, XviD, x264, FFDshow, Codec Packs etc.. they are all DirectShow codecs. Switching the above option basically says, "Hey stop using your own method for decoding music, and use whatever DirectShow says"
    Also, the word "codec" is starting to get inaccurate now that we're talking rather specifically, instead I should be saying 90% of decoder filters out there are DirectShow ones. Let's say you want to take some MPEG footage from your camera-phone, and re-code it into the DivX format and bring it to my house. Your computer would use the DivX encoder filter to record/encode it, howevere my computer would use the DivX decoder filter to play it back. Both filters would be installed when installing the "DivX Codec Pack".. So yeah, for this here problem, we need to focus on our computer's DirectShow MP3 decoding filter. This is because Last.fm send music down in MP3 format, and we just told media portal to use the internal directshow player to decode.

This will fix it?
    Maybe not, just becuase our setting are the same, doesn't mean the MP3 decoder being used on our computers will be the same. I'm using FFDShow Audio. I know this because I tell media portal to run windowed instead of fullscreen and when I fire up Last.fm I can see the FFDShow Audio decoder icon pop-up in my system tray.

Cool, Thanks George for all your help! I just need to open up my computers DirectShow manager-program so I can control what DirectShow filter I want my computer to use when decoding MP3s, wicked.
    lol, I wish. DirectShow filter managment is gamus. It's all controlled by something called 'merit', which is a flag set in the registry. Yeah basically do what I've done and hope for the best. Come back if it's all shit still.

-Good luck champ, hope that all made sense :)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I had this error too when using a playlist from which one (or more) filenames were altered afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom