Tools and other software AnyDVD HD & Co: factors for decryption time? (1 Viewer)

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    In order to play Blu-Rays via MediaPortal (either now with the BluRay Handler Plugin or natively in the future) we must rely on Software like AnyDVD HD or Passkey.

I only have some experience with AnyDVD HD. I noticed that with some Blu-Rays it takes a very long time until AnyDVD HD has finished analyzing the Blu-Ray. It's of course bad for the usability, if you have to wait 5 or 10 minutes or may be even longer until you can finally play that Blu-Ray (and additionally, after the Blu-Ray has been processed by AnyDVD HD, it takes a rather long time again until MediaPortal displays the available index.bdmv files. But I read somewhere, that this will be improved in the future at least).

So I was wondering, does anyone know why this process takes so long? What factors increase the processing time of analyzing the Blu-Ray by AnyDVD HD? i.e. does CPU power play a role, or something else, or is it simply only Blu-Ray dependent, or even dependent on the Blu-Ray drive? Also, what exactly is doing AnyDVD HD (or Passkey) when analyzing the Blu-Ray? (Yes, it's decrypting, but what exactly is it decrypting, surely not the whole Blu-Ray content.)

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think you don't even know what AnyDVD does.
    It's a cracking tool for BluRays. It bypasses the copy protection of BluRays which is an illegal process in many countries. The producers of BluRays try to program copy protection which has the only target to make the process of cracking the BluRay longer or even impossible.
    So if you want to watch BluRays use some certified software like TotalMediaTheatre from Arcsoft or PowerDVD in their BluRay Editions (costs something like 80-90 Euro).
    Technically the slow components could be CPU / RAM / HDD / BR Drive / ...

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    It bypasses the copy protection of BluRays which is an illegal process in many countries.
    As per wikipedia, the legal status in other countries is unclear and in Germany it's illegal to sale and lend the software, but possession and use on personally owned media is not.

So if you want to watch BluRays use some certified software like TotalMediaTheatre from Arcsoft or PowerDVD in their BluRay Editions (costs something like 80-90 Euro).
    That's not the purpose of this thread ;). We all know what regular software one can use on your PC. But this is about MediaPortal and the playback of Blu-Rays within it, especially since it will be natively supported in the future, including Menus (instead of just listing the index.bdmv).

Thus I wanted to assess what could be done to increase the usability factor. Your post
    Technically the slow components could be CPU / RAM / HDD / BR Drive / ...
    was not really helpful ;). Of course any component can be a bottleneck for anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom