Tools and other software AnyDVD HD or DVD FAB Passkey for Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I am setting up an HTPC for a friend with MediaPortal on it. He also wants to watch Blu-Rays from within MediaPortal. Of course for that I need the Bluray Handler plugin and a decryption software like AnyDVD HD or Passkey.

But I was wondering which is "better". Do either products have a significant advantage over the other? Is either product more reliable than the other?

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Hi

I went with AnyDVD HD as it has a better reputation, great support, and seems to just work.

Other than AnyDVD HD, I have Blu-Ray Handler, LAV Filter (0.35), and Cyberlink PDVD 10 Codec. This plays all my Blu-Rays perfectly, I haven't needed to install SAF codec pack or anything else. All Other codecs set to MS.

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hm, why exactly do you need to use the PDVD codec for Blu-Ray? Is there a general problem with the MS DTV/DVD one in such a setup?

ngergely

Portal Member
    October 17, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Trolling the forums, I found this thread that is close to what I'm looking for, so I'm going to ask my question here, instead of creating a new thread. I know it's a little old, but it is on topic.

I'll first start off by saying what I'm trying to do:
    I'm trying to setup my mepo machine, so that it can not only be my PVR and access to both online videos and my local library, but also to replace my blu-ray player.

I've got pretty much everything setup, but I'm getting slightly hung up on the blu-ray player part. I know that mepo can play some blu-rays natively, provided that they aren't encrypted. On the wiki (http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/14_Using_MediaPortal/2_Blu-ray_DVD_Discs_Images), it suggests using AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Passkey for Blu-ray.

The question I've got is, for those who have tried to do similar setups, which route have you gone and what was the deciding factor between the options?

Please note, I've tried the lite version of DVDFab Passkey, which works fine for most blu-ray disks, but I've come across 2 that don't seem to be working (Men in Black & Men in Black 3). When it starts processing the disk, it pops up an error saying that I need the paid version, in order to play those disks.

Thanks

desmond

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm interested in this too. I have recently moved from Microsoft media centre and was using power DVD paid as a plugin to watch the odd blue ray. So can I use my power DVD code somehow in mediaportal to watch blue rays? Cheers des

perky

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2014
    Home Country
    England England
    "Trolling the forums" LOL! I think you meant "trawling the forums" :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom