Anyone experience with control of TV from HTPC via HDMI-CEC? (1 Viewer)

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Has anybody experience with controlling TV from HTPC via HDMI-CEC protocol?

Media Gallery « ValkyrieTech

I think, this is currently only via USB interface possible, because the graphiccarddrivers currently don't expose an API - plus it's unclear, (to me), if they have inmplemented CEC protocol in their designs...
    But anyway, assuming that such a USB connector is used, that opens the CEC protocol to the HTPC, it should be possible to use this from MP (and thus being able to control all CEC devices like TV, receiver, etc. from MePo...) - so anybody has experience?

Further links for those interested:
    USB-Box:
    RainShadow HDMI-CEC bridge/converter
    Bus-Translator:
    CEC/I2C-bus translator from NXP Semiconductors
    Library on googlecode:
    cec-arduino - Project Hosting on Google Code

est68

Portal Member
    May 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: Anyone experience with control of TV from HTPC via HDMI-CEC?

Hello,

not really on topic but I have managed to control my Sharp TV via RS232 by my HTPC and have exposes some WebServices.

The TV has a RS232 interface and the command is documented in the User Guide

I think LG TVs have a similar functionality

PM me if you are interested

cheers

EST

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: Anyone experience with control of TV from HTPC via HDMI-CEC?

Hello,

not really on topic but I have managed to control my Sharp TV via RS232 by my HTPC and have exposes some WebServices.

The TV has a RS232 interface and the command is documented in the User Guide

I think LG TVs have a similar functionality

PM me if you are interested

cheers

EST

Thanks, but doestn't help me really - I have samsung TV - and I hoped, that there might go something in the direction of standardization for CEC communication ....

Edit: ok, just found, that sammys DO have RS232 -> https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-led-tv-serial-control-help-91088/#post693690
    So yes, I am interested (sent you PM)

ValkyrieMT

Portal Member
    February 1, 2007
    Hi,

I just noticed the trackback on my site. I am the author of the ValkyrieTech HDMI-CEC Monitor for Windows which makes use of the RainShadowTech bridge (links above). If ya'll have any questions or feature requests, I'd be happy to hear them. Also, if there is an interest/need in an API for MediaPortal integration, I could expose one from the application. I've considered a simple REST web service or .NET API in the past.

Good Luck,
    -Valkyrie-MT
    Developer
    ValkyrieTech

xavier

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2004
    Venice
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    If ya'll have any questions or feature requests, I'd be happy to hear them.

Hi ValkyrieMT,

two questions for you:

1) the worst performance of the classic ir-blaster is the change in the volume of television (still too slow).

I have not seen in your site, even in the demo video, information on the speed of RainShadowTech bridge to adjust the TV volume (not the HTPC or the Amplifier volume).

What experiences have you had in this?

2) currently I use EventGhost to control MediaPortal (I find it much mooore powerful than IRSS).

To control the bridge from EG for MP I think you need to write a plugin that works on a... "virtual" serial port, starting adapting existing EG plugins for audio amplifiers (such as this or this).

Think you have plans to write one in the future ? I might buy a bridge and writing, but I could only do beta tester :) according to your intentions.

Regards,
    xavier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom