Anyone got a Streacom IRRC remote working with MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

quartermain

Portal Member
May 5, 2014
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This remote works fine with XBMC on OpenELEC and reasonably on XBMC on Windows, but hardly at all with MediaPortal.

It claims to be modal, many buttons have two functions and you switch between modes 1 and 2 using the red and blue buttons. In mode 1 the up/down/left/right rocker behaves like the keyboard cursor keys but in mode 2 it moves the mouse (this is in the Windows desktop).

However this is a property of the driver, not the remote. If I press the blue button, verify that the rocker moves the mouse, then press the red button while blocking the IR emitter, the rocker still controls the mouse.

I've tried selecting both MCE and HID in MediaPortal. MCE does pretty much nothing - the player controls (play, pause, stop etc) do nothing except that Play in mode 2 causes an immediate exit. According to the manual that button is mapped to Close in mode 2 so it sort of makes sense.

Selecting HID, mode 1 does nothing but mode 2 at least gets the play and pause buttons working - but no other.

It claims to be an RC-6 / eHome remote but I see no eHome drivers listed in Win8.1 Task Manager.

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Same issue here with Windows 7 64bit. But I use the steamcom IR Module and a MCE Remote - only the cursor buttons and teh OK one are working. Doesn't make any difference if I select MCE Remote in teh config or not - same behaviour.

Jason Pyke

Portal Pro
    April 12, 2013
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    I've been struggling with this as well, but I'm just in the process of remapping the buttons on the control using the remote mapping software:

http://www.streacom.com/products/irrc/ (Downloads tab)

If you get a "Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range" error running the software, apparently Streacom are aware and are trying to fix it. I've managed to fix it on my machine by removing all devices apart from the USB keyboard and mouse from "Human Interface Devices" in Device manager and then clicking the "Scan for hardware changes" button, which re-adds them.

The only thing I'm now having problems with is launching MP on the green button...

quartermain

Portal Member
    May 5, 2014
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I did get exactly this problem and removing most of the HID devices in device manager did fix it.

Now I'm trying to find a setup for this remote which works both in MediaPortal and XBMC. MediaPortal seems trickier.

I'm not really clear on the distinction between the MCE command set and the "Multimedia and System Control" set that the remote has. They have some commands in common, ie Play/Pause. MediaPortal responds to Multimedia Play/Pause but not to MCE Play/Pause whereas XBMC responds to both. I've checked the MediaPortal remote configuration and both "use Microsft MCE remote or keyboard" and "use general HID device" are set.

Unfortunately only the MCE command set has Record, FastForward and Rewind - the Multimedia set only has Stop and Play/Pause. So I can't get MediaPortal to obey these three commands from the remote.

There's one potential out: the remote is modal, it has 8 modes. The default setup has the red button switch to mode 1 and the blue to mode 2. So I could program mode 2 with MediaPortal keyboard controls, ie F5 and F6 for Rewind and FastForward. But that doesn't have quite the same WAF as not having to remember to press a mode button (since there's no indication which mode it's in, you'd always have to do it first time you pick it up).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom