Anyone in the UK with experience of the TBS 6284? (1 Viewer)

nfox

Portal Pro
August 22, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I feel the time has come to experience some dvb-t2 HiDef goodness, so I'm looking for a suitable TV card. The TBS 6284 caught my eye as it is has four tuners on a single card (ideal for my mATX MoBo), and is cheaper (and less complex) than the BlackGold alternative. However, before I spooge ~£160 on it, I would like to be sure that it actually works properly in the UK. So - has anyone got one of these? and is it any good?

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Nfox..

I can only comment on the TBS brand, and not on DVB-T2 tranmissions here. I have the TBS 6980 (DVB-S/S2) and got it when it was first released a couple of years back. Like you I was wary of splashing out a 'nicker' on card that was then quite new. I have not been disappointed though - the TBS card is rock solid and very reliable. Although mine is a Sat card and your potential one is a DVB-T/T2 card, the TBS cards seem to offer good value and seem, from reading this forum, quite painless with installation.

Have you had a look at the TBS forum >>here<< to see how others rate the 6284?

There is also a member on here with the username of Raintree County who appears to work for TBS development team. He seems to pop up when others are having some difficulty.

nfox

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    Porky - thanks for the reply and the pointer to the forum, I hadn't spotted that in my searching.

Neil

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Sorry for the late reply, but I have the 6280, which is dual tuner and it is the best TV card I have ever owned (and I've had quite a few over the years).

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Has anyone tried buying one of the dvb-t2 TBS cards, looks like they are out of stock almost everywhere but the most expensive places.

nfox

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    elliottmc - thanks for the reply, however late :)

Annoyingly, I had a MoBo failure a couple of days after posting. On the plus side, this gave me an excuse to get a new MoBo, CPU and RAM, but meant I didn't have as much cash available for a new TV card as I had hoped. I ended up getting a 6280, which went straight in and has worked flawlessly.

I picked it up from the Amazon marketplace for £93. It looks like I got one of the last ones, cos they're out of stock now.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    I have just replaced a flawless 7010ix which has worked solidly for over four years with no issues with one of the TBS 6284.

Installed fine and TV Server had no problems tuning all channels. Reception is very good across all four tuners even when fully tuned to four MUX's.

Had 16 channels recording at the same time, 4 per MUX incl the HD MUX while timeshifting and channel changing, no problems or dropouts.

Thats the good news and very good news it is BUT Now here is the bad news (well with my system anyway VISTA 32 )
    Returning from sleep or hibernation causes severe OS problems leading to BSOD (I have never had one of these since I built the pc) Still trying to get to the bottom of this reset BIOS etc nothing seems to work ,tried with/without the extra power supply, tried the latest drivers still no go.
    Changed back to the 7010ix no problems with sleep etc!!

Any one else with the same card have this issue.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi SciDoctor

I have a 6284 and 2 7010ixs. The 6284 seems to be able to pick up weaker signals. I had problems with the 7010ixs simply not being available in Windows on boot or resume - a real pain. Haven't heavily experimented with the 6284 in that way as I generally turn my PC on/off without hibernate/sleep. In cases where my PC has gone to sleep it wakes and resumes fine. No BSODs. I run Vista 64 bit on this machine.

mm

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Well I had enough of the instability, moved the 7010ix back to the main pc and dug out my moth-balled server ( tyan k8we, 2x opteron 290, 8Gb with highpoint 4320 eight disk hardware raid 6, built over 4 years ago VISTA 64). Old now but very good.

Updated the OS etc , windows update took many hours, put the 6284 in the spare x16 slot and installed the latest MP.

That was over a week ago and the whole system has worked without issues, many many hours of recordings and fully stressing the tuners and networking etc.

What I can make of this is that the 6284 as with my initial thoughts is very good.
    In 64 bit OS it worked a dream but in the 32 bit OS had severe problems.

Now the 32 bit OS is on possibly an old motherboard, so this could be the issue but and a big but is that the 7010ix works without issues in the same setting.

Only two downsides to the server, rackmount chassis with standard fans, eight of them, what a noise and the size!

Now the only slight issue wit the 6284 is the signal strength reading it never changes from 90/90 even when the signal is poor. The 7010ix had good range within MP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom