Anyone use external USB HDD's (2 Viewers)

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
I was hoping to use it as the drive for recorded tv, and I plan to have two tuners, so I guess potenitally I could be writing two DVB channels to it whilst streaming another.

5teve

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    robo i use one called the ICYBOX its firewire and usb 2 you put your own HDD in and its bloody fast!!! nice looking too. i have one with a 500gb hitachi in... it works nice.

Steve

robomonkey

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    hey 5teve,

Do you use yours for recording onto? The think I liked most about the Plextor drive was that is host powered.

5teve

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    robo

i dont use if for recording to at the moment... i could if i want but i cart it around.... so no point.

if the plextor one is host powered i as its 2.5" not 3.5 as you cant get the power through usb to power a 3.5

i guess its down to application.. if you need to move it around... get the plextor one.. as its convenient... if you arent moving it around get something like mine and wack a huge hard disk in... you'll get more for your money going with one like mine... but it does have its drawbacks

Thanks

Steve

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Steve - You said:

5teve said:
    ...i guess its down to application.. if you need to move it around... get the plextor one.. as its convenient... if you arent moving it around get something like mine and wack a huge hard disk in... you'll get more for your money going with one like mine... but it does have its drawbacks...

Could you mention what those drawbacks you have observed are?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom