App to Create or Rename Folders based on Info from Moving Pictures (1 Viewer)

jmcentire

Portal Pro
November 7, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
For people who have their movies in common folders:
Creates a new folder for your movies based on the Title from Moving Pictures, then moves the movie files into their respective folder, then updates the Moving Pictures Database with the new locations.

For people who already have their movies in individual folders:

In options you can change it so that it renames existing folders(instead of creating new ones like above) to the Title from Moving Pictures then updates the Moving Pictures Database with the new folder names.

You can also append the year to the folder in either of the options above.

The default replacements for incompatible characters are as follows:

* : = ;
* / = _
* \ = _
* ? = (blank)
* * = (blank)
* " = '' (two single quotes)
* < = (
* > = )

But you can change any of these in the options screen.

As of version 0.2 you can also enable the app to organize your movies into genres. It uses the first genre listed in Moving Pictures which is usually it's main genre and creates a subfolder for that genre inside your movie directory's parent directory.

Example(when rename existing is not checked, Setup Genres Enabled, Year in brackets enabled):
"C:\Movies\Anchorman.avi" would become "C:\Movies\Comedy\Anchorman; The Legend of Ron Burgundy [2004]\Anchorman.avi"

Example(when rename existing is checked, Setup Genres Enabled, Year in brackets enabled):
"C:\Movies\Anchorman\Anchorman.avi" would become "C:\Movies\Comedy\Anchorman; The Legend of Ron Burgundy [2004]\Anchorman.avi"

Remember, use at your own risk. It only updates the db if the move or rename was successful, so it shouldn't cause any problems.

Let me know how it works!

Change Log:
[COLLAPSE]
v0.3 - Native unicode support which simplifies db export and should help with special characters. (3-2-10 | 21)

v0.2 - Now detects VIDEO_TS folders and renames the parent dir instead of the VIDEO_TS folder. NEW OPTION to organize movies into genres! (2-25-10 | 33)

v0.1.1 - Inital
[/COLLAPSE]

Attachments

• options.JPG
    options.JPG
    34.8 KB
  • MP Folder Organizer v0.3.zip
    30.7 KB

jmcentire

Portal Pro
November 7, 2008
Home Country
Source

Attached is the source(written in AutoHotKey) for the above app...if anyone wants it :)

Attachments

• SOURCE - MP Folder Organizer v0.1.1.zip
    30.7 KB

R300

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    This is exactly what I have been needing......:D
    You have saved me a whole lot of time!

R300

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Well gave it a go and and had some weird results....

I have 3 different folders all local (on different drives) that are named HD Movies ....the program did get one file from each drive and created the new folder and moved the movie file but then renamed the 'HD Movie' folder to the one that it successfully created/renamed and could not find any other movie files.

I will attach the log.......Could this be on my end? Any help would be great!

jmcentire

Portal Pro
    November 7, 2008
    Home Country
    In options is "Rename existing folder instead of creating new one" checked(it should be left unchecked in your case)?

Also you will have to rename your folders back to "HD Movies" or whatever they were before you run it again.

R300

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yep your right got a little to check box happy.....:oops:

After that it worked perfectly......:D

boombastic

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2007
    this script really really rocks!!Many many thanks.
    Tested and worked flawless!

Knives03

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2009
    Wow, not only was this very quick to changing the folder names, but it worked near flawlessly! Only two movies of mine didn't update, but that's definitely not a problem :) Thank you for all the great apps you've made, it's greatly appreciated!

Edit: Oh yes, the only suggestion that I can think as an additional option is to maybe have the ability to put make movies that start with "The", such as The Warriors, to show up as "Warriors, The". This is how I have Moving Pictures organize my movies in the list, ignoring "The" and sorting it by the first word after it. Just a suggestion, and it's not a big deal to manually change :) Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom