App to Create or Rename Folders based on Info from Moving Pictures (1 Viewer)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    could you please explain this sentence? :D

WARNING: Only do this if you are using MovingPictures version 1.0+, as you need the filehash monitor system for the following to work.

Assuming "/movies/" is your import path, you can move files/folders around without a problem.

So go into "/movies/A/" and use CTRL+A to select All movie folders, then CTRL+X to 'cut' them into clipboard.

Then navigate back to "/movies/" and CTRL+V to paste them.

Repeat this for B, C, etc.

After you are all done, you can remove the A, B, C, etc folders.

Start up MovingPictures plugin and let it process all your changes for a few minutes (it depends how many movies you moved and how fast your system is).

You could just try it out first with one folder, say 'A' and verify all goes well (use the MediaInfo option inside Details tab to verify the file locations have changed). But I've moved files between import folders all the time, even across network, and MovingPictures never had a problem.

Hello,
    Can someone explain me the interest in having the movies in their own folder ...

Thanks !

Having a dedicated folder for each movie, allows the following.

• Faster navigation inside Windows Explorer, because it doesn't try to list/generate thumbnail previews on all movies. And yes you can tweak registry to disable this behaviour, but Windows Explorer is also capable of generating a custom folder icon, based on images inside of the folder, which brings us to:
    • Place backdrop and cover images in the same folder, this will allow easy re-import, not only for your own MovingPictures setup if disaster hits, but also when transferring your collection to another system (combining this folder rename with the XBMC NFO + Artwork app makes more sense then). This also works nice, if you might have a cheap moviebox solution in other locations, say a networked $80 Patriot High Definition box in your bedroom. That one is a simple menu navigation system, but it can show nice thumbnails if the folder contains a cover.jpg file. Or perhaps you got an XBMC Live box because you didn't wanted to pay for a Windows licence.
    • If in the future you want to add additional data relating to the same movie, say a trailer (support on this is being worked into next version), you just drop it in the respective folder.

Not everybody might prefer it like this, but that's why it is optional :D

jmcentire

Portal Pro
    November 7, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    could you please explain this sentence? :D

WARNING: Only do this if you are using MovingPictures version 1.0+, as you need the filehash monitor system for the following to work.

Assuming "/movies/" is your import path, you can move files/folders around without a problem.

So go into "/movies/A/" and use CTRL+A to select All movie folders, then CTRL+X to 'cut' them into clipboard.

Then navigate back to "/movies/" and CTRL+V to paste them.

Repeat this for B, C, etc.

After you are all done, you can remove the A, B, C, etc folders.

Start up MovingPictures plugin and let it process all your changes for a few minutes (it depends how many movies you moved and how fast your system is).

You could just try it out first with one folder, say 'A' and verify all goes well (use the MediaInfo option inside Details tab to verify the file locations have changed). But I've moved files between import folders all the time, even across network, and MovingPictures never had a problem.

Or a quicker alternative to going into each folder for each letter, search inside the movies folder for *.avi (or whatever format your collection is in). Move(cut & paste) all those files directly into the movies folder. After the moving pictures database is updated with the current locations you can run the folder organizer again to move them back into title folders and genres if you want.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Or a quicker alternative to going into each folder for each letter, search inside the movies folder for *.avi (or whatever format your collection is in). Move(cut & paste) all those files directly into the movies folder. After the moving pictures database is updated with the current locations you can run the folder organizer again to move them back into title folders and genres if you want.

Then all the work would get lost and he would have to rerun this folder application again. He already ran this app, but his existing folder structure was letter based. Perhaps they already put NFO, Artwork, etc in those movie folders as well.

Zinu

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sound like a grea little app! I just have a problem with it...
    When I try to open it I get an error about MSVC71.dll cannot be found. After googling a little it seems to be related to Windows MCE which I have disabled through Windows Components... Any way I can run it anyway?

jmcentire

Portal Pro
    November 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Sound like a grea little app! I just have a problem with it...
    When I try to open it I get an error about MSVC71.dll cannot be found. After googling a little it seems to be related to Windows MCE which I have disabled through Windows Components... Any way I can run it anyway?

I just updated the first post with a new version...I'm not sure it will fix your problem, but it may since I no longer need to make dllcalls to convert the database export to ansi. So give version 0.3 a try and let me know.

Zinu

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I got it working with 0.2 by copying the file from another computer running W7. It then ran fine.

Great little app! I messed up big using this yesterday, but that was totally my fault :p

jmcentire

Portal Pro
    November 7, 2008
    Home Country
    I got it working with 0.2 by copying the file from another computer running W7. It then ran fine.

Great little app! I messed up big using this yesterday, but that was totally my fault :p

I was a little worried about releasing this app since it is really easy to mess up....I need to come up with an undo option sometime.

Zinu

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You could do that, would be great. But my mistake was due to bad reading. People should think before they do with this app :p

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

I was a little worried about releasing this app since it is really easy to mess up....I need to come up with an undo option sometime.

You could opt to ignore the issue. This folder/rename functionality, including undo, has been worked into the MovingPictures plugin source code itself. The only problem is that it is originally planned for the v1.1 release, but with v1.0 stable right around the corner, that won't take long.

More info on that @ Google Issue #230

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom