App to Create or Rename Folders based on Info from Moving Pictures (1 Viewer)

mardup

Portal Pro
October 24, 2007
Toulouse
Home Country
France France
I used this plugin and all was fine for me ...:D but why don't also rename the avi file :confused:
I think in case of need to re import the files, it would be better no ?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I used this plugin and all was fine for me ...:D but why don't also rename the avi file :confused:
    I think in case of need to re import the files, it would be better no ?

You can use the XBMC NFO application to secure a perfect re-import, including any custom modifications to the text fields, such as summary, sortby title, etc, and cover and backdrop artworks.

This way the original filename is kept, which could be a bonus incase you want to for example get a matching subtitle file later and there are 20 different versions available, each with a different sync. Knowing the original filename is extremly useful then.

To locate a movie, you first use the foldername, and the only contents in that folder relates to that movie. So at that point the filename doesn't really need any context affirmation. But it shouldn't be hard for jmcentire to add to this program, so I guess it can be added as an option for those that wish to use it.

MovingPictures v1.0+ uses a hash system, so it will be able to recognize it is the same file/movie, no matter how it is renamed.

kcpent

Portal Member
    December 25, 2009
    Lake Macquarie
    Home Country
    Hi there, worked for me, but a couple of small issues:-

1. When creating the new folders, the app ignored the second file of 2 disc movies and also ignored a couple of simple ones too, no puctuation symbols contained in the file names or anything...

just letting you know...

I have been meaning to reorganize like this for ages. thanks heaps!!!!:D

newborn_

February 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    You can use the XBMC NFO application to secure a perfect re-import, including any custom modifications to the text fields, such as summary, sortby title, etc, and cover and backdrop artworks.
    Could you please explain this?

Another thing...
    After I've renamed all the folder with this application I always put in my main folder new video files (not in single folders)... If I ran the application once again I'm not able tu put the new files in correct folders, because the older ones would be appear something like this: Movies\apocalypto\apocalypto\apocalypto.mkv ...

jmcentire

Portal Pro
    November 7, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Could you please explain this?

Check out the Artwork and Info Copier thread for more information.

Another thing...
    After I've renamed all the folder with this application I always put in my main folder new video files (not in single folders)... If I ran the application once again I'm not able tu put the new files in correct folders, because the older ones would be appear something like this: Movies\apocalypto\apocalypto\apocalypto.mkv ...

Correct, however if you put new movies into their own folders manually you can still run the app using the rename option to get the accurate title and year. This app was mainly intended for a one time use to get your current collection in order.

boombastic

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2007
    I used some time ago this app with great results but now i'm having this issue:

errorkqc.jpg

The database is gone :-(
    Must recreate with NFO scraper ;-)
    I'm using Windows 7 x64 and latest RC of Moving Picture and Media Portal

Any clue?

jmcentire

Portal Pro
    November 7, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    There should be a backup copy of your database in the app's directory.

Not sure what is causing the problem though. I'll try and take a look at it.

Knives03

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2009
    I actually just had the same thing happen to me the last time I used the application. I got the same syntax error and my moving pictures database was corrupted. The backup that the application made was also corrupt for some reason. Not sure why it would be happening now because it's always worked fine in the past, but I am wondering if it has something to do with changes made in the last few RC releases of MediaPortal.

Edit: I'm using the latest release of MediaPortal (1.1.0 RC4) and the latest version of Moving Pictures, as well as the latest version of this folder renamer application.

boombastic

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2007
    I actually just had the same thing happen to me the last time I used the application. I got the same syntax error and my moving pictures database was corrupted. The backup that the application made was also corrupt for some reason. Not sure why it would be happening now because it's always worked fine in the past, but I am wondering if it has something to do with changes made in the last few RC releases of MediaPortal.

Edit: I'm using the latest release of MediaPortal (1.1.0 RC4) and the latest version of Moving Pictures, as well as the latest version of this folder renamer application.

Also for me the backed-up database was corrupted.
    As a preventive action i strongly advice to export all the relevant data (i.e. nfo,fanart and cover) to the movie directories so you can always re-build the database with XBMC (Local) scraper.

mastyman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    this looks great, but can you clarify, if i dont want all my movies put it folders, they are currently not, this isnt for me?

ie i dont want it like this,
    Example(when rename existing is not checked, Setup Genres Enabled, Year in brackets enabled):
    "C:\Movies\Anchorman.avi" would become "C:\Movies\Comedy\Anchorman; The Legend of Ron Burgundy [2004]\Anchorman.avi"

but i would like it as below
    "C:\Movies\Anchorman.avi" would become "C:\Movies\Anchorman; The Legend of Ron Burgundy [2004].avi"

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom