Apple: If no movie trailer descriptions - import from IMDB? (1 Viewer)

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It won't automatically download everything. But you have to set one base folder where downloads will land. When inside the details view for a trailer (where you see the list of trailers) select the one you want and hit f9 on keyboard. thern chose download. After finishing, the file will be in the folder you selected in config and you can manually move and rename it to your likes.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Yes, but as I said, downloading and saving a trailer locally isn't much good if Media Portal doesn't use it where I want, e.g. within Moving Pictures' "Watch Trailer" button. Not to mention manually saving, renaming, and moving the files, which really shouldn't be required in an integrated solution.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't see the big demand with downloading trailers , I find it's very easy to stream a 480p or 720p trailer using the trailer button in moving pictures it's a pain to have to select a trailer after the search, but it's much better now that the search is in YouTube rather than imdb trailer site. locally stored trailers are only useful of you want trailer previews or don't have internet access . having said that if moving pictures was able to download and save trailers then I would use that feature .

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Yes, precisely the problem. >YOU< find it very easy. Many others in other countries do not. So why not allow both?

Its quite frustrating when people that have fast or unlimited Internet decide broad development decisions without taking into account the multitude of others that do not have that luxury. "Hey, it works fine for me, so we don't need to change!" :eek:

Locally stored trailers are useful because you don't have to waste bandwidth downloading it a 2nd time (and people watch the same trailer more than once - they watch the same movie more than once, don't they?), they play fast without stuttering, and because you can keep ones that may not always be available in the future. Most people I've installed MP for don't use trailers because they have to wait 30-60 seconds before they start streaming, then they stop/start/stutter throughout. The novelty wears off after the first attempt.

Arguing that people shouldn't need to keep trailers locally is the same argument that we don't need to keep any meta data locally either - after all, its small amounts and readily available online, right? Using that argument, almost everything's available online so why don't we just develop MP to be a web browser instead?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom