Apple iPhone Web-Based Remote (1 Viewer)

cybrmage

Portal Pro
May 30, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
And with the Official iPhone SDK just around the corner..

The Official SDK appears to be a bust... for the moment... It is targeted to the iPhone/Touch firmware v2.0... and that isn't "scheduled" for release until laste June/Early July... And it appears that the applications written with the SDK must be distributed through official Apple channels... Which will make distribution of any frontend problematic at best...

That could be done via the use of a web-server, using java...

That wouldn't work... The iPod Touch/iPhone does NOT support Java!!! (The one thing I hate about the iPhone!)

FlyinWhee

Portal Member
May 22, 2007
Joliette
Home Country
Canada Canada
I think a webinterface could work as well - though not as fast - and there would really be no need for Java - everything would be handled server-side.

Best way to make it work, I think, would be to have the interface be a CSS-heavy page so as to be dynamic and not have to reload every time you click on something. And the actual actions would be handled via a listener or directly by custom web server events... though a listener would be easier I think.

PrplHaz4

Portal Pro
August 9, 2007
Boston, MA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Dunno how I missed this the first time around, as I've been looking for something similar for a long time...the MP web interface app has been pretty good from a MyTV standpoint, but is fairly limited...

IMO, any of the functionality above should exposed via web services by MediaPortal, and allow for responsive web apps, and most likely, near-continuous loading of data with some predictive caching...etc.

I just saw this project: MythTV for iPhone and got extremely jealous as I recently gave up my MythTV Box for MP...

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    This project does not have to be iPhone specific. I think we basically need a webserver running on the MP machine that can control MP.

Then any device that can conect to the webserver can control MP - can have different Stylesheet/design depending on the device.

Can you connect and control MP from another application? i.e. a ASP.NET website? If so, would that not be the way to go?

vinnalott

January 4, 2008
    If I could watch my mp recordings anywhere on my phone that would be absolutely amazing!!!

First of all the web app should let you control the mediaportal from the iphone in an easy way, like the OP posted about the XBMC project.
    Would be so nice to control which music is playing, change playlists, control the volume etc wherever you are in the house!

You have other applications on the iphone to see recorded tv, movies etc on the iphone, example ORBLive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom