Approx 27 sec image freeze when playing TV serie (1 Viewer)

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
April 11, 2005
Brussels
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
All my TV series are stored on a SATA disc on my main MP server, which has an SSD as boot disc. In Power Options I have configured to never put discs to sleep. Movies are stored on a network drive, which might explain why I don't remember seeing this with movies. I have noticed this in previous MP versions already, so I guess it must be specific to my configuration (be it the hardware or my config of MP).

When I start a TV serie, once so often the image freezes after a few frames. Audio continues to play normally. Pressing stop on the remote or B on the keyboard doesn't stop playback. It seems as if my complete MP freezes for 27 seconds. Only then does video pick up with audio again and does MP react to any remote buttons pressed or keys pressed. It is not always exactly 27 seconds, but it seems to be quite consistent.

In the attached logs I watched a first episode around 19h13 without any issues. When I got back home a bit before midnight I wanted to watch another episode and I had the freeze. My gut feeling is that it happens more often when MP has been inactive for a longer time.

In evr.log you can see the jump between:

Code:
05-07-2013 23:58:51.352 [15f4]Scheduling sample from the past (17.73 ms, last call to NotifyWorker: 0.07 ms, Queue: 2)
05-07-2013 23:59:18.242 [15f4]Scheduling sample from the past (25437.59 ms, last call to NotifyWorker: 0.26 ms, Queue: 3)

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
April 11, 2005
Brussels
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Actually... it could be the hardware... A long time ago I unlocked the 4th core of my AMD processor. I've undone this now, let's check for a few more days.

Edit: nope, still got a 19" delay before video kicked in.

Last edited:

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
April 11, 2005
Brussels
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Meanwhile, after about one week of testing with disabling options and plugins I have strong suspicions about the culprit, but no definitive proof yet. I disabled plugins that I don't really need for my MP experience and then enabled them one by one. With never a freeze again. Until right now. Right after enabling InfoService...

I have not found other reports about this, so I still have no clue why I seem to be only one and why it only happens on my main machine. I'll keep it disabled. If anyone wants to investigate... I'm always up for testing !

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    can you keep infoservice disabled for an entire week, see if you have any problems, and then re-enable it next week and let us know what happens

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    April 11, 2005
    Brussels
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Darn ! It's not Infoservice :sick:
    Back to the drawing board, gonna try & disable some other plugins again. And just wait longer before deciding one or the other is the culprit.

Luckily I am a patient man. NOT ! :D

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    April 11, 2005
    Brussels
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Being away on holiday did not help much for testing.
    But I've been running with only Trakt disabled for several days now and have not had a single freeze. First time I play a video there is a little bit of stuttering but nothing like before. I'll stop fiddling with it for several more days to make sure. Unless there is some options I can set in the Trakt plugin to get more verbose logging ?

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    April 11, 2005
    Brussels
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Nope. Did not help. I enabled Trakt again and the very first time I played an episode, I had the freeze again. I'll try some packet capturing to see if I can correlate this with specific traffic, as it sounds quite plausible that it happens while publishing "XXX is currently watching YYY".

Knives03

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2009
    I suffer from this exact same issue and have been since before 1.4.0. I have all my files stored on an UnRAID server and have so for several years now, but it wasn't until recent versions of MePo that I really started to notice this. If I start a TV show through though TV-Series plugin, occasionally this will happen to me. The video will start fine and then maybe after 15 seconds it will freeze up while the audio continues to play. This generally ends in the video "speeding up" after the freeze stops and eventually is fine after it finally syncs up with the audio again. Usually I just stop the episode, or hit the time skip button on my remote to skip back to the beginning, in which both cases the freeze DOES NOT happen and I can watch the episode fine.

Not exactly sure why this happens, but it can be a bit frustrating. I thought it might have to do with my UnRAID server and drive spin up, but it happens while the disks are fully spun up or regardless. It doesn't happen all the time, but generally if it happens once, it happens again and again if I watch several episodes of a show in a row.

I've uploaded my evr.log and MediaPortal.log in the meantime in case it brings any clues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom