Are TV Tuner cards improving? (1 Viewer)

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yepp, pretty much. If both muxes are already in use you'll get a message like "no TV-card available" when you try to view a channel on a third mux.

You don't have to worry too much about this since MP automatically will choose mux etc for you.

/Peter

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Yepp, pretty much. If both muxes are already in use you'll get a message like "no TV-card available" when you try to view a channel on a third mux.

You don't have to worry too much about this since MP automatically will choose mux etc for you.

/Peter

great !! that sound really good, thanks for that information !! i didnt know about that.

hobb

Portal Member
    August 31, 2006
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

/Peter

What kind of antenna are you using with your 2400i, does the card come with a bundled antenna? Can you make any comment about the reception with different kind of antennas?

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if this card is a good choice if you don't have an outdoor antenna and you want the cheapest combination of tuner + antenna that delivers a perfect picture (preferably then a card with a small bundled antenna that does the trick).

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi hobb,

The card does not come with an antenna. I would be very careful to make any statements about the reception with various antennas. I used to have a lot of problems with bad signals. It took quite a while and effort to:

- Install an active amplifier
    - Replace the 20 yrs old antenna cable with a new and shorter cable
    - And finally replace the roof-antenna itself since it could not cope with the frequency band used by DVB-T channels

All this got me a strong and clean signal that works perfectly with the card. Could I have use an indoor antenna? Absolutely no, I tried but it didn't work at all. Can someone else do that in another area? Most likely, I live behind a large hill...

/Peter

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    - And finally replace the roof-antenna itself since it could not cope with the frequency band used by DVB-T channels

This is pretty typical for a lot of people, including myself, we take that thing attached to the roof of our house as never failing\wearing out, but they do.

Ok it may cost a couple of hundred Euro to replace with new kit, but if its your own house and your going to be there a few years its worth it.

Those silly little aerials that come with some TV cards mays be great in the centre of Tokyo, but for the average user they are next to useless.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi hobb,

The card does not come with an antenna. I would be very careful to make any statements about the reception with various antennas. I used to have a lot of problems with bad signals. It took quite a while and effort to:

All this got me a strong and clean signal that works perfectly with the card. Could I have use an indoor antenna? Absolutely no, I tried but it didn't work at all. Can someone else do that in another area? Most likely, I live behind a large hill...

/Peter

i have very big weak signal issues also. i use the software of the tv to measure the signal and in some channels its zero !

i guess i will have to go through those steps also.

could give me any hint on what i should look for?
    as in amplifier characteristics, maybe even a pic.
    antena characteristics,
    etc

thanks. i hope i can fix my signal issue as i can only get half of the channels available right now.

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Since I am in a different country to you I can't really make any suggestions. Talk to antenna/satellite dish company, they may be able to help.

/Peter

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Since I am in a different country to you I can't really make any suggestions. Talk to antenna/satellite dish company, they may be able to help.

/Peter

thanks anyway. i was more thinking of db that the antenna should have. or the amplifier should gain to.

ill try to do some findings.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    Well, after trying a couple different TV cards (ATi 650 & pinnacle PCTV HD PCi) and the cards are great but the software STILL leaves something to be desired.
    If you want to run MediaPortal, stick to the compatible cards list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom