ArgusTV not always pre/post recording with MediaPortal TV Server (1 Viewer)

RedPenguin

Portal Member
February 1, 2009
My buddy and I are trying figure out his setup:

Win 7
HDHomeRun Prime (ClearQAM Digital Only)
HVR-950Q
WinTV-PVR-USB2 AVS

What we are doing is using MediaPortal TV server as the recording server.

ArgusTV is simply used as the scheduling software using SchedulesDirect.org

We are having a strange problem that we can't seem to trace to either ArgusTV or MediaPortal.

For whatever reason the analog will do a pre/post recording especially with constitutive shows.

Yet any time we try the ClearQAM digital either via the 950Q or the HDHR, suddenly it does not pre/post for those and parts of the beginning and/or ending credits are cut off.

We have looked everywhere in both programs but not sure why the analog would be any different than the digital.

Oddly it does seem to work if you only want to record on single program with nothing consecutive.

Last edited:

dvgeek

Portal Pro
November 16, 2013
SF Bay Area, California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
@RedPenguin
I have almost the same setup - HD HomeRun HDHR3-US on Win7, with MP TVEngine and Argus Scheduler on a dedicated server.

Just make sure that the pre-post in both Argus Scheduler Consule (Settings) and MediaPortal Recording are set to the same. I have set both of mine to be 3 pre and 5 post and it works fine.

RedPenguin

Portal Member
February 1, 2009
For some reason this problem did not exist on my Argus and MP setup, like davutz has above.

Yet one day I rebooted my PC and now Argus decides it wants to only do 30 seconds of posting between consecutive shows.

So if I schedule a recording at 4PM and 4:30PM it will stop the 4PM recording at 4:29:30PM and start the 4:30PM recording at 4:29:30PM, which leads to beginning/endings being cut off.

I tried reinstalling both Argus and MP, restoring backups from when it was working, and nothing at all works,.

I am not even sure which software is to blame as I can't really tell which software is causing the problem.

RedPenguin

Portal Member
February 1, 2009
I am not even sure which software is to blame as I can't really tell which software is causing the problem.
If Argus is scheduling then Argus is responsible. ;)

As usual, you were right, LoL.

I found out the exact problem. For some reason if Argus sees MP only having access to one single digital tuner, it feels it cannot pre/post between shows on the same channel. Yet if I enable 2 tuners or more, the problem goes away.

I think Argus must be setup that any time somebody would use MP, it's only analog channels and doesn't think it can do digital channels or something. Why would recording the same channel's consecutive shows need multiple tuners?

RedPenguin

Portal Member
February 1, 2009
Just to give an update on this.

I have found an Argus with MP solution to be very unstable.

Not saying Argus or MP themselves are unstable just for some reason the connection between the two (The MP Client Plugin) for some reason borks randomly and for no obvious reason(s), such as a recording at 3AM worked but one at 5AM failed.

I have for now just decided to do a fresh MP install and do manual recordings and possibly will look for a good way to get SchedulesDirect to work in MP 1.7.1.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Not saying Argus or MP themselves are unstable just for some reason the connection between the two (The MP Client Plugin) for some reason borks randomly and for no obvious reason(s), such as a recording at 3AM worked but one at 5AM failed.
    Keep in mind when using Argus with MP, you're using their plugin and their scheduler. Not trying to blame them for your problems. Just to say that we only have control over own components...

RedPenguin

Portal Member
    February 1, 2009
    Keep in mind when using Argus with MP, you're using their plugin and their scheduler. Not trying to blame them for your problems. Just to say that we only have control over own components...

Yes I know. I have just tried numerous times to get support on their forum, just got no where for some reason (no replies).

EDIT: I have tested recording with MP only and I can produce none of the symptoms Argus+MP was having especially the "Failed to Tune Channel" after a recording or two. So at least I have something stable to get recordings until one day it's hopefully fixed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom