"Artist" vs "Album-artist" ? (1 Viewer)

nzsp

Portal Member
May 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
With the usual trepidation of starting a new thread after a potentially substandard forum search......

I have a question about how music tag fields are handled, namely the use of "artist" versus "album artist". This is, I'm afraid, another "I used to this in Meedio... can I do it in MP?" question.

I have a number of compiliation albums. The tracks are all tagged as having "Various artists" as the "album-artist" field, and e.g. "Madonna", "AC/DC" etc. as the artist field for each track.

Currently in the MP configuration I cannot find a way to differentiate between the two. The Meedio confugration used to refer to the "artist" field as "artist" and the "album artist" field as "Band". This allowed sorting by band and artist etc. It also meant that a track within a compilation album would show the correct individual artist as the track artist.

In MP it seems to read the "album-artist" tag field as the MP artist. So every track within a compliation album comes up as having "Various artists" as the artist.

I tried re-scanning my music files with and without the "treat files in the same folder as an album " box checked, and that made no difference.

Is there a way to fix this currently in MP? Is the MP music database limited to a single artist field?

I couldn't tell if the new tag reader will help in this regard or not.

Many thanks,
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom