ASIO bit perfect playback throughout mediaportal? (Chaintech audio card) (1 Viewer)

grubi

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have not tried MP in several months as I keep waiting for an announcment to be made that says something to the affect of "MP now supports ASIO throughout!" It seems that all of the ASIO and bit perfect support is only in the internal BASS player for music files and external palyers for videos. Is that correct or am I missing the boat here?

I have been using ASIO4ALL with my current setup (MS MCE) for some time now for bit perfect playback. I would like to be able to do the same thing using MP with all of its default internal players (movies and music). Is that possible? If not, is it planned? Using the internal player seems to be more seamless with MP and if it just had bit perfect playback... I could enjoy it once again.

Will the soundcard drivers mentioned support the chaintech cards? I do not see it on the list and was not sure which chipset is used on those.

Not sure what you are after. The BASS engine which is used internally by MP and is seamlessly integrated supports ASIO for music playback. What is the point in getting ASIO for movies. I'm passing AC3/DTS through to an external Receiver via s-pdif so this is bitperfect otherwise it would not work. For movies MP uses direct show filters so MP's capabilities here are dependent on the capabilites of the filter you are using.

grubi.

cyberfix

Portal Member
January 16, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Not sure what you are after. The BASS engine which is used internally by MP and is seamlessly integrated supports ASIO for music playback. What is the point in getting ASIO for movies. I'm passing AC3/DTS through to an external Receiver via s-pdif so this is bitperfect otherwise it would not work. For movies MP uses direct show filters so MP's capabilities here are dependent on the capabilites of the filter you are using.
grubi.

Okay, maybe I have just been missing something in the past. I will try installing it again this weekend and see if I can get it all to work. I usually use FFDShow for codec support. Will this be supported in the video player engine?

One last question, why are there so many people posting about having to use WinAMP with ASIO support to get bit perfect playback or was that for music only? Okay, one more question... :) What is your configuratoin for Videos? I would like to tackle this once and for all so that I can move forward with all of the cool features and skins.

Thanks.

Koudijs

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    One last question, why are there so many people posting about having to use WinAMP with ASIO support to get bit perfect playback or was that for music only?

The BASS ASIO feature is not working flawlessly for everyone, so some use Foobar/Winamp instead.
    This is for music only.

Regards,
    Jan

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    grubi.

Okay, maybe I have just been missing something in the past. I will try installing it again this weekend and see if I can get it all to work. I usually use FFDShow for codec support. Will this be supported in the video player engine?

One last question, why are there so many people posting about having to use WinAMP with ASIO support to get bit perfect playback or was that for music only? Okay, one more question... :) What is your configuratoin for Videos? I would like to tackle this once and for all so that I can move forward with all of the cool features and skins.

Thanks.

Not sure why others are using winamp to get bitperfect playback (As winamp is a music player this is for music only of course). Often there are multipe ways to achive the same goal. I simlply bought a Soundcard based on a C-Media chip for 20 EUR and used the drivers I stated. This gives me perfect quality and is from my experience the most reliable solution.

I personally don't like ffdshow. IMHO the hardware video capabilities built into modern graphic cards are more superior and cannot be achived by software due to cpu power (at least for HD). But to use them you have to use the latest codecs (PureVideo for NDVIDIA or PowerDVD for ATI). ffdshow will work with MP of course like any other direct show filters will.

HTH.
    grubi

cyberfix

Portal Member
    January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I just wanted to update this thread to let everyone know I appreciate the help. I have finally got MP running bit perfect playback on my system. I used the programs graphedit and Sherlock 2 to help with the quest. Graphedit showed that some stupid real audio codec was jumping in even though it was never selected for movie audio playback. I used Sherlock to locate the codec files and unregistered it.

I am now enjoying what many others have enjoyed. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom