Aspect Ratio auto-switching not working (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
TV-Server Version: v1.0.0.21793
MediaPortal Version: v1.0.0.21793
MediaPortal Skin: PureVision HDX
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
CPU Type: Intel P4 2.8Ghz Northwood (non-HT)
HDD: 1*500GB and 1*640GB Western Digital SATA
Memory: 1.5GB DDR
Motherboard: Gigabyte 8i848-PM
Video Card: Leadtek FX5600 256MB VIVO
Video Card Driver: 93.71
Sound Card: onboard Realtek AC97 (ALC655)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.6300
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.25080.0
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC (Gabest)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Custom
Cooling: Nexus 120mm Intake Fan, Accelero S2, Mini Ninja
Power Supply: FSP 300W
Remote: Nova-T 500
TV: Sony XBR800 36"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

When changing channels, at some point MediaPortal no longer identifies whether the channel is 4:3 or 16:9 and displays every channel as 16:9.

A seperate but related bug is if I change to a channel that is not transmitting (which at 2:20am appears to be the case with FIVER, even though the EPG shows "Teleshopping") MP locks up for about 30 seconds before displaying a timeshifting error (and if I select Yes to the "switch to previous channel" prompt, it just throws me back into the EPG on channel 1)*. After that, all channels display in 4:3. Although Five US shows "programmes start at 12.00pm" in the EPG, switching to this channel displays a placeholder image so they are obviously still transmitting and the timeshifting error doesn't occur and this aspect ratio bug isn't triggered.

This is with the MPC MPEG-2 decoder. I tried ffdshow instead but this resulted in all channels displaying in 16:9 right from the start, although switching to FIVER and getting the timeshifting error still resulted in all channels being displayed in 4:3. Nero Video Decoder also resulted in all channels displaying in 16:9 but the timeshifting error didn't change that.

If it makes any difference, I'm running my graphics card in Dualview mode, with MP running on the TV on the secondary output set to 1232x692. This is the configuration in which the attached debug logs were generated whilst using the MPC decoder. Please let me know if it would be helpful to provide logs with other decoders selected or with different display settings.

I tried setting the TV as the only display at 1280x720 but then with the MPC decoder all channels display in 16:9. The timeshifting error doesn't change that in this configuration.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
I seem to have fixed this now by uninstalling and reinstalling and upgrading to svn 21720.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Upgrading to svn 21793 caused this problem to come back and downgrading both TV Server and MP to svn 21720 didn't help, but installing svn 21813 has fixed it. :D

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Be aware the MPC gabest codec is not the best for detecting correct resolution, PowerDVD8 one is the best and will give hardware acceleration mpeg2 playback, just download the trial.

Also are you sure its not the zoom mode thats changing, as when you set a default in config, that did not work, it always started on the last used zoom mode.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Yeah, I checked what mode MP was in and it was always in Normal (which is what I set as default) and I never change it.

I don't think my AGP Nvidia card (FX5200) supports hardware acceleration but I might try the PDVD codec anyway. As I say though, it seems to be working in the latest svn. The only problem I've noticed is QI on Dave/Dave+1, which looks like it should use non-linear stretch to be correctly proportioned, but that's probably an error at the transmission end rather than any fault in MP.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I'm using the PDVD codec in svn 21813 now and it does indeed do a much better job of auto-switching, although QI on Dave still doesn't come up full screen but in what looks like a 16:9 window.

The auto-switching stopped working the other day after I'd been watching an AVI movie though and I had to shutdown and restart MP to get it working again. I'll have to monitor that to see if it happens every time.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Ah well, it's only the one programme (that I've noticed so far anyway), so I'll try and live with it :mad:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I've just found that the Nvidia decoder handles Dave fine.

I also found that the Cyberlink decoder resulted in major artifacts on some programmes, particularly noticeable on walls and the whole picture seemed to be constantly pulsing and changing brightness. I don't get any of that with the Nvidia decoder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom