Aspect Ratio constantly changing (1 Viewer)

beatnut88

Portal Pro
January 15, 2012
Home Country
Hi
I have a problem with the aspect ration changing automatically - even within a video playback. I have set the default ro Normal in the settings but it isn't enforced. Depending on whether the image is 4:3 - or anything other than 16:9 - it switches to non-linear stretch, stretch or some other aspect it divines is more suitable. Fat faces!
Is there a setting I have missed? Happens with both TV and Videos
Thanking in anticipation.
Neil

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Neil

Bet you've got either or both of the Intelligent Frame Correction (IFC) or ViewModeSwitcher plugins enabled. Their purpose is to automatically adjust the video aspect ratio based on the presence of black bars. Like any other plugin, you can disable (or enable) these plugins in the plugins section of MediaPortal configuration.

Regards,
    mm

beatnut88

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Both!! No wonder. Having had this experience leaves one to scrtach one's head as to what use they are. Fat faces....
    Thanks

Neil

Hello Neil

Bet you've got either or both of the Intelligent Frame Correction (IFC) or ViewModeSwitcher plugins enabled. Their purpose is to automatically adjust the video aspect ratio based on the presence of black bars. Like any other plugin, you can disable (or enable) these plugins in the plugins section of MediaPortal configuration.

Regards,
    mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    LOL! :D

No wonder.
    Indeed! :)

Having had this experience leaves one to scrtach one's head as to what use they are. Fat faces....
    They can be used for linear scaling (ie. increase picture size without "fat-o-vision" or "thin-o-vision"). For example, for 4:3 content on a 16:9 screen:
    • standard/normal = black bars on each side
    • stretch (fat-o-vision) = picture stretched to remove the black bars
    • scaled (14:9???) = picture size increased and top and bottom of the picture cut off so that the picture fills (or almost fills) the screen... without distortion
    Another example is 21:9 (or wider) content on a 16:9 screen. Normally it would have black bars on top and bottom. IFC or VMS can be used to scale up the picture size, cut off a little bit of the sides of the picture, and get rid of the black bars.

In short, people who really dislike black bars often use them. :)

beatnut88

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Yes, I can see the use of selecting a different ratio upon inspection. But automatic? When you watch a documentary where old file footage is mixed in with 16:9 using these plugins make the image flip back and forth. fat faces, thin faces - all sorts. Did me head in....
    Neil
    LOL! :D

No wonder.
    Indeed! :)

Having had this experience leaves one to scrtach one's head as to what use they are. Fat faces....
    They can be used for linear scaling (ie. increase picture size without "fat-o-vision" or "thin-o-vision"). For example, for 4:3 content on a 16:9 screen:
    • standard/normal = black bars on each side
    • stretch (fat-o-vision) = picture stretched to remove the black bars
    • scaled (14:9???) = picture size increased and top and bottom of the picture cut off so that the picture fills (or almost fills) the screen... without distortion
    Another example is 21:9 (or wider) content on a 16:9 screen. Normally it would have black bars on top and bottom. IFC or VMS can be used to scale up the picture size, cut off a little bit of the sides of the picture, and get rid of the black bars.

In short, people who really dislike black bars often use them. :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But automatic? When you watch a documentary where old file footage is mixed in with 16:9 using these plugins make the image flip back and forth. fat faces, thin faces - all sorts. Did me head in....
    Shouldn't be a problem when configured properly. The plugins can be configured to leave 16:9 content untouched, and linearly scale the file footage up to get rid of some/all of the black bars.

Anyhow, I'm glad you managed to work it out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom