Ongoing Aspire Revo R3610 - Perfect client setup for MP in New Zealand... (1 Viewer)

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    For over a year now an HP pavilion PC has been performing it's Media Portal duties with minimal disruption hidden away beneath the 40" LCD in our lounge. I also have a Windows Home Server that's tucked away in the office that serves all my media throughout the house. Both of these machines are on pretty much 24/7 and sucking power all day long, however I did install the LightsOut plugin on the server which makes it shut down at midnight and start up again at 7am so saving a bit of power. I shudder to think what the girlfriend would do if MP didn't record her TV shows so I daren't try and make that machine go into standby even thought it would probably work....

My aim is to try and get the TV server up and running on the WHS machine and keep that on 24/7 and then have a small client under the TV that we just switch on whenever we want to watch something. Hopefully this will save a bit of power and also be a little more discrete and quiet.

I stumped up for an Acer Aspire Revo R3610 hoping that the dual core and ION graphics setup would be enough for DVB-T HD content along with all the other plugins and fan art that I just have to have.....

For the time being this little machine is going to be my test rig so will live next to the TV in the bedroom where I can tinker away to my hearts content. As I live in New Zealand this thread will be focused on how best to setup this machine so it works as well as it can with all the strange audio codecs that our freeview seems to have.

The idea is that anyone else purchasing one of these machines should have the EXACT same hardware as myself and thus we should be able to come up with the optimal configuration.

So if anyone already has one of these machines and has any input I'd love to hear from you as this thread will be a work in progress until we hit that sweet spot......

My current setup is as follows...

Machine - Acer Aspire Revo R3610
    Processor - ATOM 330 Dual Core 1.6Ghz
    Graphics - Nvidia ION
    Memory - 2GB
    Hard Drive - 320GB
    Network Connection - Gigabit Lan (has wireless but won't be using this)
    Operating System - Windows 7 Professional 32Bit
    MediaPortal Version - 1.1 latest SVN build
    TV Delivery Method - DVB-T Freeview
    Current Codecs - SAF codec
    Current Plugins....
    TV Series - Latest release.... will get the actual number
    Moving Pictures - Latest beta.... will get the actual number

At the moment it appears to be working okayish.... Can't get PRIME to work as it only shows the first frame of video with audio playing correctly. All other channels appear to work. Have an issue where the first divx or xvid file I play takes about 20 seconds to start and then all other attempts start immediately....

I suppose that's it for now, I will add some photos and more info over the next few days to give a better idea of where I'm at at the moment.

Hopefully a few of us R3610 users in NZ can get together and get this great little machine setup as the perfect MP client.....

Speak soon

Tommy

UPDATE : Have loaded the latest RC1 TV server onto my windows home server and MP Client onto the Revo. TV appears to be working although it's not as smooth as I'd like, a little choppy every now and then. CPU sits at 20% when viewing HD content.

Loaded the MP client onto my work DELL and HD content playback is flawless so looks like I've got some work to do on getting the Revo's codecs setup correctly...

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
      IMG_0373.jpg
      125 KB
    • IMG_0374.jpg
      IMG_0374.jpg
      125.5 KB
    • IMG_0375.jpg
      IMG_0375.jpg
      71.1 KB
    • IMG_0376.jpg
      IMG_0376.jpg
      117.3 KB
    • IMG_0377.jpg
      IMG_0377.jpg
      114.7 KB

blanquart_c

Portal Pro
    February 6, 2007
    good morning,

sorry for my english. I have the revo 3610 with 4gbt of ram and windows seven 64bit installed originally.

I use Mediaporal RC1 and my revo is a TV client with ethernet connmexion.

I have other tv client with other hardware without problem.

My revo in TV client hace pb of freeze and sutter. is possible to have your configuration of nvidia card and mediapoortal codecs if you not have this pb?

Thank you.

Christian.

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am still having some stuttering issues but will update this topic if I get the resolved....

Be ure you hve the latest Nvidia drivers and I am using the SAF codec version 4.0 available on these forums.

blanquart_c

Portal Pro
    February 6, 2007
    I have the same configuration and experimented other possibilities (For example SAF 5 beta) but with the same result.

Thank you

Christian

TranceManNZ

Portal Pro
    July 30, 2006
    I am using the Asus EB1012 and its working great. I wrote a bit of info here

Asus EeeBox PC EB1012 | Lounge Media

Hey man looks interesting.... What machine are you using for your server? Not Windows Home Server by any chance?

For a server (and its also my main HTPC) I am running Windows 7. The Asus EB1012 is in the bedroom and connected over gigabit LAN.

Both machines are running SAF 4.0

My next mission is to try and get a centralized database working. I hate not been able to see what I have watched in My TV-Series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom