ASrock HDMI 2.0 Mini ITX (1 Viewer)

Alexh

Portal Member
October 30, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi,

Been waiting for 4k@60Hz capable micro or mini ITX MB for a long time now. Looks like ASRock has the monopoly on this for now..

ASRock J4205-ITX - CPU included, passive heatsink
ASRock J3455-ITX - CPU included, passive heatsink
ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac

I'm leaning towards the J4205 since it will be for a client only. I'm a little concerned with receiver/TV HDMI 2.0 compatibility because I recall when HDMI 1.0 first came out it had some issues.
Also i usually go with Asus or Gigabyte as I have had those last up to 10 years but for the price of the J4205 i suppose I can hardly go wrong.

Anyone using these for a 4k system?

Last edited:

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I am using the ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac since February now but not as a 4K system right now. It is for the future purpose as a 4K system and was the only available solution with HDMI 2.0 in February. When my TV will die some day I will switch over to a 4K TV. The board runs flawlessly with MP1 as a single seat TV solution. In the past I had mainly ASUS boards, some MSI, some Gigabyte. I have been building PC systems for myself since 1993. Two years ago I switched over to ASrock because it is the new ASUS ;) Good but not too expensive just like ASUS was 15 years ago.

Cheers

Blue Max

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Interesting as the ASRock board uses a third-party HDMI 2.0 chip because HDMI 2.0 is not integrated in the Intel Skylake platform. I can not try it out if TruHD and DTS-HD do not work because I have no TV with HDMI 2.0.

Thanks fro the hint.

Cheers

Blue Max

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've build my HTPC with ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac and Core i3 7320. Playback (up to 4K/60Hz) of all my files is working fine and of course HD Audio. The only thing that doesn't work with Kaby Lake CPUs and Windows 10 is playback of framepacked 3D movies (MVC).

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've build my HTPC with ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac and Core i3 7320. Playback (up to 4K/60Hz) of all my files is working fine and of course HD Audio. The only thing that doesn't work with Kaby Lake CPUs and Windows 10 is playback of framepacked 3D movies (MVC).

Is MP1 ready for 4K? Would love to switch my Sys to 4K.... :)

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Been waiting for 4k@60Hz capable micro or mini ITX MB for a long time now. Looks like ASRock has the monopoly on this for now..

ASRock J4205-ITX - CPU included, passive heatsink
    ASRock J3455-ITX - CPU included, passive heatsink
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac

I'm leaning towards the J4205 since it will be for a client only. I'm a little concerned with receiver/TV HDMI 2.0 compatibility because I recall when HDMI 1.0 first came out it had some issues.
    Also i usually go with Asus or Gigabyte as I have had those last up to 10 years but for the price of the J4205 i suppose I can hardly go wrong.

Anyone using these for a 4k system?

I have used ASRock J3455-ITX and J4205-ITX. 8-bit HEVC decodes fine and plays fine but 10-bit HEVC results in a stutter every minute or so when the screen resolution is set to UHD. The decoding isn't the issue for 2 reasons. Firstly, the CPU isn't being taxed and secondly, when outputted to 1080P display, there is no stutter. Therefore, I am happy that hardware decoding is being utilized. However, when setting the PC's resolution to UHD the stutter occurs on all my 10-bit HEVC encoded files and I suspect that MediaPortal isn't copying blocks of memory from video display to system RAM quickly enough. Players written in C++ (whereas MediaPortal is using .NET), such as Media Player Home Cinema, does not exhibit this behavior (although it has other issues of its own). Microsoft's Movies and TV plays the files flawlessly but of course, there is no True HD, Master or Atmos support. Perhaps, ASRock's J4105 and J4105M (which supports DDR4 memory as opposed to DD3 memory used in its predecessors) may solve the issue with the stuttering in MediaPortal..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom