Athlon: 64? Mobile? XP-M?... Or Cool and quiet? (1 Viewer)

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
Though having googled around for a while, I really was not able to determine a cool and quiet CPU+mainboard selection..

Maybe someone can share his thoughts or give recommendations:

1. Does Athlon 64 mobile run on a desktop mainboard? On all? On which ones? what has to be considered? (Voltage?)

2. Does a Athlon XP-M run a desktop mainboard? What has to be considered here?

3. I know what Cool'nQuiet does, but I do not know to which CPUs it applies. It does lower the frequency (and also the voltage?).. But that is the same as the mobile CPUS.. or is it not?
As far as I know first the mobo must support Cool'nQuiet, but which CPU to choose?

4. Even in the group of desktop CPUs there are different ones (DTR e.g.) that differ in power consumption.. Hmmm

5. Should one go for a XP-M which cosumes less power, or on the other hand does one benefit from advanced core design of a Athlon 64.. though it consumes more power from the data sheet?

So you can see I am little bit confused. What is the best guideline to choose CPU+mobo?

My three basic asumption are:
- that lowering frequency on the fly is a good idea, so I want to have this feature.

- The less power consumption a CPU has, the less heat it producess and the less noise in the end.. Therefore I would like to go for mobile CPU if possible..

- I want a system that produces less heat even at full load (e.g. when encoding a DIVX)

Any recommendations?

(I know there is a Pentium-M, but there are only two mobos available, which I personally do not like therefore I excluded Pentium-M from my list)

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
jcee said:
Though having googled around for a while, I really was not able to determine a cool and quiet CPU+mainboard selection..
There's info on the AMD website. You can probably answer all your questions there if you look around.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^10272,00.html

- I want a system that produces less heat even at full load (e.g. when encoding a DIVX)

When the CPU load goes up the CPU throttles up accordingly, uses more power and generates more heat. I don't think the mobile CPUs will offer an advantage over the Cool and Quiet CPUs at the same performance level under a full load. They *might* use less power when idle but I think Cool and Quiet may just be the same technology that mobile CPUs use.
I think the Cool and Quiet thing is just marketing.

Maduser

Portal Member
October 9, 2004
You should think about Transmeta Efficeon proccsor.
Some of these work without a active cooling and they are not slow, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom