ATSC Problem - Avertv Hybrid Volar Max TV Tuner Kit (H826) (1 Viewer)

Wilbour

June 2, 2013
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hello and welcome Wilbour :)

It really would be better to start a new thread.

I have a suggestion for you: try the ATSC and generic network provider options for the "preferred network provider" setting.
http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/02_TV_Servers#Edit_Tuner_Settings

Also, can you tell us whether MP was able to scan any channels, or did the BSOD happen right at the start of scanning?

mm

Well as suggested I did change the "preferred network provider" to ATSC and instead of BSOD it did scan but the results were no channels found. The blue light did not come on either. I initiated the AverMedia Software and re-scanned the channels but the unit did not initialize and once again no channels found.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Okay, so summary so far is that use of the ATSC network provider leads to channels not being found, and use of the generic network provider leads to BSOD.

Hmmm...
    Three things.
    1. Could you please answer the previous question:
    Also, can you tell us whether MP was able to scan any channels, or did the BSOD happen right at the start of scanning?

2. Could please post your log files:
    • open TV Server configuration
    • click "open log directory" in the top left corner
    • zip up all the files you find there and attach/post the zip file here
    3. Your first post suggested you may have tried the tuner with Windows XP and/or Windows 8. Can you please clearly list your results using the tuner with those (and any other) operating systems. If you were using MediaPortal, please be sure to specify what value was used for "preferred network provider" in each case.

Thanks,
    mm

Wilbour

June 2, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    MP was able to scan channels. Sorry thought I mentioned that, but it failed to find anything as it did not initialize the tuner.

The BSOS issue also happened to NextPVR as well. It appears to be a Vista issue. I have yet to see anyone with the simmilar setup overcome this issue. I think the best bet will be to try a different TV Tuner card

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the log files. They clearly confirm that if you're going to attempt to use the tuner with Windows Vista you're going to have to use the generic network provider.

MP was able to scan channels. Sorry thought I mentioned that, but it failed to find anything as it did not initialize the tuner.
    I meant with the generic network provider. In other words, I'm trying to understand whether the BSOD occurs at the start of the scan, randomly in the middle of the scan, or right at the end of the scan.

The BSOS issue also happened to NextPVR as well. It appears to be a Vista issue. I have yet to see anyone with the simmilar setup overcome this issue. I think the best bet will be to try a different TV Tuner card
    You may well be right.

Rae Egli

Portal Member
    April 14, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just wanted to note that I have this stick working quite well in Windows 8.1 by avoiding the scan and simply importing the channels.

Update the driver using Windows Update first.

Not for everybody but....

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the tip Rae :)

Are you able to answer the question that Wilbour never answered: when does the BSOD occur (using the generic network provider)?
    I'm thinking maybe the BSOD occurs because MediaPortal [unintentionally] attempts to scan outside the tuner's range... but I can't discount or further investigate that possibility without an answer to the question.

Rae Egli

Portal Member
    April 14, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I never encountered the BSOD, I simply had a boatload of "signal locked no channels found" even after drastically increasing scan timeouts.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhh, okay - interesting.
    Are you running Windows XP?
    Also, are you able to say which driver version you're using for the tuner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom