ATTENTION: New subforums - Hot skins (1 Viewer)

New subforums: Hot skins. Have your say

• Total voters

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Eabin: I agree, but having 95 pages of info about a skin makes it even worse to find useful info and getting/finding answers/support/patches etc. (IMO).

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    I like the new subforums as the long threads were a realy pain, I basically stopped reading all of them, although maybe you've gone a bit over the top with the amount of subforums. For instance does Vista MCE really need its own forum (no offense, sure its a fine skin, but their own thread isn't all that long).

I would give the top 4/5 skins their forum, and watch on the rest a bit, but it's probably too late anyways ;-)

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    agreed, now please someone send in a patch to high which adds customizable searches to the board :)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Outdated skins should be removed - I agree on that.
    There are several things that must be taken in consideration, but all in all I think the skins that are now "pinned" deserve to be there - as long as they stay updated :)

Harley

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    am i the only one that doesn't like the tons of sub-sub-sub-forums we have around here? makes it pretty hard to see at a glance what has been posted since my last login.
    is there some feature of this board like a "summary", where i can add my favourite sub-sub-forums and display all modified threads from those?

edit: hm, the "new posts" thingy at the top seems to be almost what i am looking for. is there some way to customize this menu?

i´m also not realy like this new subforums. Not relay know for what it should be. The forumstruktur we have is nice, because allways if a new post comes in the thread, the thread goes on first step in the list, so you find easy the latest posts allways on top of the forum threads. If a skin is having for long time no post or updates it goes out of first side.
    Second thing is , if you have many subforums for the skin you have to read all subforum threads to answer in several places. That makes nothing easyer to mantain and not to read, sorry.
    If a skin designer mention all new stuff of last version in the first point of the thread all is ok and easy to find.

Third thing is where is saying that a skin is hot or not. Is it going from the download count ? and if so, whey are the skins not placed in the Order of the high of downloads ?
    By what download count should a skin become as hotskin ?
    What if a skin is no longer maintained , will it be deleted and go back to normal thread ?
    When comes a new skin in the hotskins ?
    How does allways this changes ?

The old struktur in the skinforum was making this self, if they are new post the skin comes up in the list, If it come in no new post the skin goes self lower in the list.

If we will realy go the subforumstruktur we should add there only four "hot" skins by seperate them of using the download count. They should be placed then in order of the downloadcount.

Greetings Harley

Harley

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Eabin: I agree, but having 95 pages of info about a skin makes it even worse to find useful info and getting/finding answers/support/patches etc. (IMO).

If you have search in all 95 Pages, then the skin is not uptodate and mantained. If you look at the last release date of the skin, you must search for new stuff and updates only after this date and only if you have a problem by using a funktion. If so you can easy use the search engine.

If you have a updated version of a skin from last month, you must not search in threads from last year. Updates and packages for the skin , the skin designer should search out and test it, if they are good the skindesigner is the only one who can can say if he will add it to a release or not. Thats the only way to hold the skin stable.

Greetings Harley

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Added a poll.

NB: Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Harley: You opinion is important to me. I thought this would make things easier for both users and skin developers, but who am I to say? I do agree that it is not very easy to say "what is hot - and what is not", but this also goes for plugins.

Harley

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Added a poll.

NB: Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Harley: You opinion is important to me. I thought this would make things easier for both users and skin developers, but who am I to say? I do agree that it is not very easy to say "what is hot - and what is not", but this also goes for plugins.

Hi Spragleknas,

it makes the things not easyer, for example: I do this weekend a new updated version of Xface, now i add all stuff that is working and looking good from the community ( thats important not all stuff from community is working realy well ). Then for example the hoverimages are included, so what is now with the thread "New hoverimages" , as extra thread it must be deleted ?, other way it confused the users what is now in and what not.
    So if we realy must use the hot skinforums, so please do it not with different threads, hold it all in in one thread. In the first post you allways see what version is out and with aht date.

btw, its allways better to discuss such changes in the team before they are made.

Harley

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom