Audio Documentation for the blind. (1 Viewer)

werxie

November 9, 2008
In the UK there are often 2 audio streams on DVB-T broadcasts, one of them containing audio documentary of what is happening on screen. Much searching has provided me with not a single PC app or plugin that actually allows you you listen to this alongside the normal audio (which is how it is intended to be heard) even though both are recorded.

I've used Audacity and the auto dipping filter to combine the two audio streams and mute the background audio whilst the audio documentation is taking place during an encoding, but there is no way to listen to it live like that. I really think a plugin for this would be great. A lot of people with visual impairments or blindness could take advantage of it, my mother for one. I'm not sure if this is limited to the UK at the moment, but more and more shows and films aired on UK channels have it supported, if only there was a way to actually listen to it.

Is there something available for this yet? If not is there someone who could develop it? It seems it would be fairly simple to implement with programming knowledge (which sadly I lack).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Currently there is no support or plans for the multi audio broadcasts. It is not possible just to write a plugin that would solve the issue, but instead it requires changes to the MediaPortal's core components to allow two audio streams to be renderred simultanous. The most complex part would be to mute the 1st stream when 2nd stream is having audio ongoing.

Here's what should be done if someone is interested to take a more closer look into this area (many minor tasks aren't listed):

1) TsReader needs to be able to demux two audio streams (quite big task)
    2) A new DirectShow filter for audio analysis and stream mixing is needed
    3) TV side DirectShow graph building requires chages to allow 2x audio decoders and the new audio analyzer / mixer filter to be used

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom