Audio dropouts with Dolby / DTS (1 Viewer)

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I've recently started experiencing random audio dropouts when watching TV Series or Movies with DTS or Dolby Digital .

If I disable bitstreaming in Lav , I get no dropouts .

If I play a movie with MPC-HC or Power DVD I get no dropouts .

I've tried updating to 1.24 Pre as well as gone back to 1.22 but the issue persists .

I did a full product cleanup and it seemed to fix the issue but now it's back .

I gave a quick try with MediaPortal 2 and playback seemed fine as well .

Any advise ?

Specs -

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
    Gigabyte B450 Aorus M
    Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse
    16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT

Denon AVR X-3000

Thanks

Attachments

• log.zip
      268.4 KB

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Thanks for the reply .
    I've updated to MP 1.24 Pre.
    If I select the Denon instead of MediaPortal audio Renderer, the sound level is too low to hear .

I've attached logs from MP 1.24 Pre .
    MediaPortal Audio Renderer was selected .
    I played about a minute of a movie and sopped playback just after an audio dropout .

This just started happening randomly in the last week or two , with no hardware changes .

Attachments

• log.zip
      100.4 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    It can be related to MPAR, I didn't use it anymore too even if bitstream should work (like refresh rate changer does the job), but like LAV Splitter/audio etc. has made change that possible MPAR is not working good anymore.

About the low volume, it's the correct level if all the chain is set for bitstream and then you need to higher the Denon one.
    For ex on my Denon AVR, I'm at 60 as volume setting and often can higher up to 65 :p

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    try to not use MPaudiorenderer
    select your denon directly.

but please provide logs with 1.24 Pre, or wait for 1.24 Final ( releasing soon)

Thanks for having a look earlier for me .

I think you're right about driver issues .

I updated the GPU drivers after chatting to you earlier and afterwards my pc kept disconnecting from my network randomly ( although it has settled down a bit now )

Reinstalling network drivers / GPU drivers hasn't improved it much .

It's looking more like a windows / driver / software update in the last couple of weeks has done something untoward on my system .

I think I'll reinstall Windows ( on Sunday if I can get the time to do so ) .
    Hopefully a fresh install will help .

It can be related to MPAR, I didn't use it anymore too even if bitstream should work (like refresh rate changer does the job), but like LAV Splitter/audio etc. has made change that possible MPAR is not working good anymore.

About the low volume, it's the correct level if all the chain is set for bitstream and then you need to higher the Denon one.
    For ex on my Denon AVR, I'm at 60 as volume setting and often can higher up to 65 :p

Thanks for the reply .

I think I've always used MPAR , but at the moment if I select my Denon as the audio renderer the volume is so low as to be inaudible .
    Before , volume was the same as MPAR .

So it looks like there's some drivers / hardware weirdness going on .
    Reinstalling drivers doesn't seem to be helping , so I'm going to try a fresh install of Windows and see how it goes .

Thanks for the replies

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just wanted to add my tuppence worth and ask a couple of questions for trouble shooting, because I bitstream with lav and my denon is plenty loud enough at volume level 20 (5.1) with dts/dolby etc. I do not use MPAR at all. I have MP 1.23 installed.
    Is your denon connected over the HDMI?

If I play a movie with MPC-HC or Power DVD I get no dropouts .
    PowerDVD does not use lav so it may be pointing the finger there.
    MPC-HC by default does use its own internal lav setup, if you have not already done so change the MPC-HC settings to use the "external" lav setup, same as MP, (let us know if you need help on this) which should then confirm whether the problem is with lav or MP.

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Apologies for not posting in the last week .

The audio dropouts were getting worse for a few days ( including in PowerDVD and MPC-HC) so I dug out a couple of old graphics cards (AMD 7790 and Nvidia GTX 960) to experiment .

As soon as I swapped the 5700XT for either of the older cards , I got perfect playback .

If I reinstalled the 5700XT , the dropouts started happening practically instantly and randomly .

Disabling bitstreaming helped a little but was still suffering from audio dropouts .

I decided to do a full reformat and reinstall of Windows to rule out any corrupted files / drivers .

As soon as my HTPC was up and running I tried several movies and tv series episodes .

With the 5700XT in place I was getting random audio dropouts :mad:

With bitstreaming disabled the dropouts were still there , but not as bad ( but no proper DTS or Dolby sound ).

Swapped the older cards again and immediately got perfect sound ( DTS / DTS HD as well as Dolby Digital / Dolby True HD ) with no dropouts or glitches :)

I am now organising an RMA for the Sapphire 5700XT Pulse .

Pity , as it is running perfectly with games but seeing as it's main use is for movies / TV etc. it's unusable for me .

Thanks for the replies and help / advice :)

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I just wanted to add my tuppence worth and ask a couple of questions for trouble shooting, because I bitstream with lav and my denon is plenty loud enough at volume level 20 (5.1) with dts/dolby etc. I do not use MPAR at all. I have MP 1.23 installed.
    Is your denon connected over the HDMI?

Yes , it is connected by HDMI . It didn't seem to matter what I selected as audio renderer , the sound was dropping .

PowerDVD does not use lav so it may be pointing the finger there.
    MPC-HC by default does use its own internal lav setup, if you have not already done so change the MPC-HC settings to use the "external" lav setup, same as MP, (let us know if you need help on this) which should then confirm whether the problem is with lav or MP.

It started acting up with other players (see my post above ) and changing cards solves the issue , so it looks like a faulty GPU .

Thanks for your post :)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello, thank you for the feedback, so my 1st approach was not so bad.

Anyway thank you for sharing your issue with this card.

Envoyé de mon LG-H870S en utilisant Tapatalk

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As soon as I swapped the 5700XT for either of the older cards , I got perfect playback .
    Thanks for the feedback , pleased you got it sorted.
    The 5700XT is an awesome GPU but has had some teething problems according to the admittedly volatile amd support forum. Nothing I found though that matches your problem so I think you are right to go the RMA route.
    BTW the 5700XT is quite power hungry and amd recommend a 600W PSU, hope your setup has enough power.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom