Audio Issues (Please Help) (1 Viewer)

ShadowB123

Portal Member
December 14, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I just bought a Yamaha Aventage A860 receiver to replace my old one. All I did was switch out the receivers, reconnected the same way as I did on my old Yamaha (HDMI connections) and now when I start up MP I don't get any sound when I press up/down/left or right on the remote however, I do get sound when playing a music or movie file. I also noticed when I was pressing up/down/left or right on the remote, my receiver speaker indicator display will blink on and off each time that I pressed a direction on the remote.

I have did the following without a change

clean install of MP
Updated firmware on the receiver
Updated audio drivers
Updated video drivers

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    when I start up MP I don't get any sound when I press up/down/left or right on the remote
    If I have understood you correctly, you don't get the "button sound effects" when you press buttons on the remote control, but you did with your previous AVR.

This has been reported before (I suffer it too, with my TV connected via HDMI). I believe that it is caused by the digital circuit in your AVR (and my TV) switching off completely when there is no signal. When a signal is detected, the digital circuit switches on again, but it takes a finite amount of time to do this. By the time the digital circuit is fully operational, the button sound effect has already passed, so you don't hear it.

As far as I am aware, there is no solution within MP to solve this. If it really worries you, you have to use some additional software that will continuously send very low-level audio signals to your AVR, so that the digital circuit in the AVR never switches off while the AVR is powered up. One application that does this is (I think) "AVR Audio Guard", but I have never used it myself.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

ShadowB123

Portal Member
    December 14, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    CyberSimian,

Thank you for the reply and yes this is what I was trying to explain. You did help me out in guiding me in the direction that I needed to resolve my audio issue.

After doing some searching I found the following program and it resolved my issue.

SoundSwitch v2

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom