silentman

Portal Member
November 25, 2008
Collierville
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Folks,

I need some help.

I have ripped about 300 of my own dvd's. The video quality is great, but the audio is extremely faint. I have to crank my TV up to like 49 out of 60 to watch a movie.

I can listen to music on like 30 and it is loud. I can watch TV and it is loud.

I know this must be just a setting somewhere, but I have tried everything.

I have tried just installing Mediaportal 1.0.0 on 2 different computers and I have the same result.

Here is the weird part: If I open Intervideo DVD and play the movie that way, it works great, sound is perfect. I even tried using Intervideo as my external player and still no luck.

Please help me out.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've noticed the same thing, but I hadn't connected it to MediaPortal. The sound on anything DVD-sourced is much quieter than anything else. It's the same whether playing the DVD directly, or playing files from the hard drive, or even with a DivX encoded DVD rip. I just assumed the sound on DVDs was generally quiet - I'm pretty sure it was the same when I used to use a stand-alone DVD player.

I haven't tried playing a DVD on my MP machine using other software though. I'll give it a try sometime.

Sorry, not much help - apart from letting you know it's not just you!

Rob

silentman

Portal Member
    November 25, 2008
    Collierville
    Home Country
    Well, if i rip the dvd. Then open it with Intervideo DVD player, it plays just as loud i was watching on a DVD player. But if I then watch it through Mediaportal the sound is faint.

So I guess in your case it might not be Mediaportal, but somewhere in my config there is some button set incorrectly I guess.

Thanks for your input though.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    I haven't tried playing the ripped DVD files (or actual DVDs) on that machine using any software other than MP. It may be louder using something else. I've got PowerDVD 7 on there, so I'll try it later using that instead of MP and let you know if it was still quiet.

A couple of times I've thought it would be cool to have some sort of individual volume settings for different bits of MP - DVDs are very quiet, TV/non-DVD-ripped films are ususally in the middle and music (MP3) is very loud. Whether it's MP's "fault" or not I don't know, but it would be nice to be able to set it to vary the volume for each section of MP, so it all comes out roughly the same. If somebody's been watching a DVD then somebody else tries to watch TV or listen to music it'll come out really loud if they forget to turn the volume down.

Rob

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    OK, I just did a quick test with a DVD on my MP machine. The DVD is quiet (as usual) when played in MP, but much louder played in PDVD7. So it does seem to be MP-related. Weird.

I'm using all PDVD7 codecs for DVD in MP by the way (with the MP internal player, not as an external program).

Rob

JeremyInNC

March 24, 2009
    Home Country
    I had/have a similar problem, I think that MP is trying to do 5.1 but I only have stereo inputs on my crappy HTiaB. I told it to normalize the sound and everything seems to work properly now.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    That's an interesting idea - my sound is set to stereo in Windows, but the sound hardware on my mobo is capable of some silly number of channels (7.1?)
    Could it be possible that something in MP thinks it's trying to play more than stereo? How did you force it to be stereo, other than in Windows? I presume it's not a PDVD7 codec setting because it sounds normal played in the PDVD7 stand-alone player.

Rob

JeremyInNC

March 24, 2009
    Home Country
    There should be an option to have your Audio set to Stereo out in the configuratior, I am at work so can't check it now.

It's not the PDVD7 codec, MP uses it's own set (well in theory you could have it use all the same stuff as PDVD).

Open the MP configuratior, go to DVD > DVD Codecs and check your audio settings.

How are you getting the sound from your PC to your receiver/amp?

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    It's not the PDVD7 codec, MP uses it's own set (well in theory you could have it use all the same stuff as PDVD).

Open the MP configuratior, go to DVD > DVD Codecs and check your audio settings.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try later and report back.

How are you getting the sound from your PC to your receiver/amp?
    Analogue stereo (mini stereo jacks)

Rob

I'm not quite sure what you mean here... In MP config->DVD->Codecs there's the option to pick the codec (currently PDVD7 for audio) but I can't see any other options for audio settings. I've tried other codecs for audio and they make no difference to the volume.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom